Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skype Connect with Mitel 3300MX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crono

Technical User
Feb 24, 2006
US
Hello all,

Has anyone tried to use Skype Connect with a Mitel 3300?

I'm fairly new to SIP phones\devices. All we've ever used are the Mitel phones however we're noticing that more and more of our outside clients use Skype so if we can somehow tie that into our phone system that would be great.

I looked at the website and Mitel isn't on the list of supported vendors but I'm hoping someone with a bit more experience can tell me if this is possible or not and how complex it would be.

Thanks in advance.

-Crono

You might be able to do something like this with a softphone client that has the ability to register to 2 different registration servers....but with skype, i think you are sending the calls to username@location and mitel is only dealing with numbers. Possibly there might be a softphone smart enough out there that lets you register to your pbx and register to skype, aim, yahoo messenger all at the same time? im not a developer though so this is just wishful thinking.

Works, have in working in our office. Check Mitel knowledge base on how to configure.

Knowledge is power, thats why we share!

Thanks MitelAU,

Do we have to be a reseller to access the Mitel knowledgebase?

Thank you so much kwbMitel!

Just a couple more questions:

1. We have an 3300MX controller running ver9. We were told that we cannot upgrade to MCD since our controller would require a RAM upgrade our controller cannot accommodate. Do you think Skype Connect can work with older controllers?

2. Since this pdf was on the knowledge base does that mean that VARs should be able to assist with configuration?

Thanks again for the document. Much appreciated.

-Crono

It works with my MX controller version 9.0.3.15

Kelvin

A VAR is a Value Added Reseller. Basically whoever sold you the system. So, yes, whoever sold you the system should be able to assist you with the configuration.

I suspect, as you are release 9 and an older model at that, that you will require additional licensing regardless and will have to contact your reseller for that.

Mitelchi has answered the feasibility question so the next move is yours.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

by " we're noticing that more and more of our outside clients use Skype so if we can somehow tie that into our phone system that would be great. "

It looks like what he is looking for is the abillity to the pbx to dial skype usernames, which I dont see an abilility to do that right now. The skype setup looks like any other SIP trunk provider setup...you can dial local, LD or international.

It looks like skype is hoping that that you will assume it can dial skypeuser@skype.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back