Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SKSTOOL Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendij

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
US
I am trying to backup the configuration of my Symantec Enterprise Firewall 7.0 so I can create a backup firewall. Symantec's instructions say to run SKSTOOL and input your recovery password. Well, I ran SKSTOOL on the existing firewall and it came back with 'Replace existing recover key (y/n)'. I chose NO and it exited. Does anyone know if choosing Yes mess up anything on the existing firewall? I can't find anything on this on Symantec's website or in the instructions that came with the firewall.

Thanks for any help.

On version 6.5 answering yes and then supplying a password worked. After you copy the files from the sg directory you need to run sgupdate -commit to restore the old firewall to operation.

I found a proceedure on their web page labeled "Recommended backup procedures for Symantec Enterprise Firewall".

I have NOT tried this on ver 7. I did however move my config to a completely new Computer using version 6.5 and it worked fine.

I answered Yes to the question and it worked. I was able to copy the configuration to the backup firewall without doing any harm to the existing firewall.

I have just taken over support of a Symantec Enterprise Firewall Version 6.5 system. I want to copy over the configuration onto a test machine that we have in the lab. In order to copy over the configuration to another machine, I'm assuming that I need to run skstool first. If I run it on the production machine & it prompts me to overwrite existing recovery key, will I lose anything on production? Does this mean that it was not previously run?

I didn't run the skstool prior to moving over the configuration and couldn't log into the SRM Console - could this be why?

Thanks

Yes, just run SKSTOOL. It won't mess up anything on your production firewall. I ran into this same issue and wasn't able to log into my backup firewall until I ran SKSTOOL and then moved the configuration over.

Thanks for the information. Problem being that I ran the skstool on the production server, copied over the files and then ran the skstool on the backup server prior to installing the software & I get prompted to replace the existing key. Shouldn't I be asked to just enter the password to recover the key?

I did copy over the /sg directory & did follow all of the instructions.

Would it make a difference that I am testing it in a lab with just one machine?

install & configure Symantec software

run the skstool with password

copy the /sg directory & the hosts files to a floppy

uninstall the Symantec software

wipe the hard disk clean & reinstalling windows

copy back over the /sg directory

run skstool - this is where it again prompts me to replace
the existing key again, where I believe it should just be prompting me for the password

Does it make a difference that I never actually change machines nor volume names?

Could you please confirm again that it won't affect the production firewall by running the skstool on it while it is live?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back