Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skippy Sound in Media Player 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojoman

Technical User
Jan 15, 2004
US
I am suddenly having skipping sounds in Media Player in the audio of a DVD. Installed Pinnacle Studio 9.3 which contains Quicktime prior to the problem. Tried uninstalling Pinnacle but the skipping didn't go away.
Any ideas?
Mojoman

Here is a quickly thrown together list of ideas you can try and discard as you wish.

Try System Restore to a point before the skipping appeared.

Skipping Sound
thread779-632104

811982 - How to troubleshoot playback in Windows Media Player 9

Troubleshooting DVD playback

Resources for Troubleshooting DVD Problems in Windows XP (Q308012)

158532 - Goosebumps: Sounds Skip and Repeat During Videos

812610 - Audio File Sound Skips During Image Transitions

Q: Why does WMP play too fast or too slow?

Read the answer here.

Have you checked the following.

Control Panel/ Sounds and Audio Devices/ Audio tab/

Make sure you have the correct device listed in Sound Playback.

Run the DxDiag from the Start Run box, see if that picks up anything.

Use MsInfo32 the same way too.

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors. Look in the System or Application folder. You can

get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Great Post Linney, with lots of information and reading. Non of it worked, but I appreciate the effort! I broke my cardinal rule and installed more than one thing at a time so am not sure where to look for the problem or exactly when it started. I don't watch DVD's on my computer very often and most times just for testing. I don't always listen to the sound as I share and office and we both use headphones. The two things I installed were Pinnnacle Studio and Nero Ultra. Somewhere in there lies the problem. Uninstalling them does not cure the problem however! ?
Mojoman

Is it just the audio from just DVD's or is it all audio?

Good question! I checked everything else I could find and the mpegs and streaming stuff is perfect. I uninstalled Nero Express and the DVD video is clear but not in sync! The mouth movements are not in sync with the words they are saying. So to answer your question, it seems that it is now only the DVD sound!
Mojoman

Sounds a bit like a hardware acceleration problem. Can you adjust the slider one notch either way?

"Specifies the degree of acceleration for your sound mixing. For certain applications (mainly games), some sound cards use DirectSound acceleration to relieve the CPU of some audio processing tasks. This frees up the space for accelerated performance. Many sound cards use similar methods to improve audio processing and quality.
Full acceleration supports all standard drivers and all other drivers and is recommended for most computers. If your computer is having problems and you suspect sound acceleration is the cause, use the highest setting at which you do not have problems."

Tried that! No Effect!
What's next?
Mojoman

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates (no problem if you substitute them with SP2) but your files and programs will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Just as a guess, Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
"Processes" tab, right-click Windows Media Player, Priority, and try a higher priority setting.

Thanks Bcastner but changing priority setting had no effect either. I am still working on some of the stuff from linney's post. This all started when I installed Pinnacle Studio and Quicktime, I think. In past experience it seems that Quicktime tries to take over all the jobs that WMP usually does.[I went in and changed them all back] Is it possible that WMP is accessing two audio applications at the same time? What format is the DVD audio really in when it is embedded in the video folder?
I am also using a Cyberlink DVD encoder. Does Nero Ulra have it's own decoder & do I really NEED the Cyberlink one or was this a necessary move?
Mojoman

In case anyone else has this question; Nero Ultra does have it's own encoder. I tested it on my backup computer and it will play DVD's without having the Cyberlink encoder installed. Apparently, Pinnacle has changed the codecs but uninstalling it does not correct the problem.I still have skippy, distorted, out of sync audio.
I also installed XP over itself as suggested by Linney but still didn't change anything. Still stumped! I hate the thought of doing a clean install again on both computers. It takes forever to download and install SP2! :)-( Mojoman!

Accidentally deleted original WinXPpro audio codecs
thread779-852144

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back