Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skip the Bootstrap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

182RacingBlue

Technical User
Sep 5, 2005
GB
our networker server has some large drives for SQL backups and other stuff as it's the networker server and even though ive got a sinlge path defined it continues to try and secure the bootstrap I want to exclude the bootstrap is there a directive i can use to exclude it?

A SQL server running on a backup server? I do not consider this as a recommended solution.

Anywany, i doubt that you can do that. It is of course possible to write such directive:

<< "pathname\nsr" >
+never: res mm

But probably it will simply would be ignored because the bootstrap is also a process, not just a save set.

However, if it works, never forget to have another client instance without this directive.

Worst case you can only avoid that by running manual backups.

Rethinking the situation provided the answer ... ;-)

As usual, the automatic backup runs the save command for the index and bootstrap save sets. So there is no process walking through a filesystem. Consequently, directives will not be used at all.

So the only solution would be to run manual backups which do not include the nsr directory.

The networker has a large file share for SQL servers to deliver there backups up it.

It's just this perticular backup I run is a monthly backup and tapes are only in the library once a month, were the all other save sets skip (as per the schedule) it's waiting for media to take a copy of the bootstap (Nightmare!) as the file share is on a drive of the networker server.

I can't get that directive to work still.

Let me suggest you define a cron job for a manual backup in this case.

Yeah im already there now. many thanks for the reply though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back