Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skip Login When No Network? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagreen

Technical User
Jun 2, 2003
US
In the older versions of the Netware client, the GUI login would not unless a Novell network was detected. Later versions always provide the GUI, even if there is no Novell network. This has created some confusion on some remote computers that connect to the network through a VPN. What I would like is for the Login GUI to not appear unless the computer is actually connected to the network. In other words, I want to figure out how to make the newer client versions behave like the older ones. By and large, these remote computers are using the client for XP v. 4.83 SP2. Is there any way to do this?

Not that I know of.

Windows NT, 2K, XPpro all expect a user to log in. Therfore a GINA (Graphical Identification and Authentication) is needed. It can be Netware, Windows, or another 3rd party network login GINA. Netware replaces the Windows GINA with their own.

Windows 95/98 does not require a user to log in, so if a Netware server is not detected, then the WS skips over the login screen.

I just make sure that Workstation only check box is available to the users, and remind them to check this box if they are remote. I have this issue mostly with laptops. So when I issue a laptop, I make the user log into Netware first. This creates their Windows account, (I use ZEN to manage NT accounts), copying all the settings for default user to their account on the local machine. Now when they are not connected to the network, they can check the workstation only box and log into the local machine.

HTH

Chuck

This is actually XP home edition which, in the absence of the Novell Client, would not have prompted me for a login name, etc. My problem is that people somehow keep changing their passwords so that they eventually get locked out. How they do that, I cannot even begin to understand.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but when I was installing some new laptops for my users, this is what I did.

This link will take you to a microsoft support document, telling you which reg key to hack to get an XP machine to log-on automatically on boot, if the users are then plugged into a network, you can tell them to right click on the Red N in their system tray and select login.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back