Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skilled Worker Shortage 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTekMedia

Programmer
Oct 5, 2001
US
Today's focus: Skilled worker shortage: Fact or fiction?
NW on Technology Executive [TechExec@nwfnews.com]
By Linda Musthaler

A few weeks ago, I wrote an opinion column < for Network World in which I challenged the conventional wisdom that there is a dearth of skilled IT workers < Hiring managers moan that they can't find qualified candidates to hire.
Researchers < who study social trends throw up the red flags, saying we don't have enough young people going into IT-related college programs and professions. Companies, particularly high tech ones, import foreign workers through the H-1B visa program < or worse - outsource technical jobs overseas. They do so while claiming there are enough skilled workers in the U.S. to fill the positions.

I called these notions baloney. I said that companies can't find qualified workers because they define the qualifications too narrowly. They use automated resume screeners to weed out candidates who don't have the right acronyms or hot topics on the page. Acronyms like CISSP, MCSE or SAP. Topics like identity management or information life-cycle management.

I thought I would anger people with my bold assertions. I expected to get mail from recruiters and HR people, telling me I'm out of touch with reality.

Oh, I got mail, all right. Dozens of people have written to me, and the notes continue to come in, several a day. Still more reader responses are posted on my blog <
Every single note has come from someone telling me I am spot-on with my assertion. I have heard from so many underemployed IT professionals who can't get a foot back in the door despite years of practical hands-on experience. The reasons? "Lack of certifications." "Not enough experience with XYZ."
"Overqualified for the position." "Outdated skills." Many of the people who wrote to me are middle-aged, and I clearly see a hint of age discrimination in their notes.

Every story is unique, but the overall pattern emerges: many IT professionals are not even being considered for jobs because of trivial or "fixable" reasons. No certification? No problem.
That's nothing that a bit of practical training and hands-on experience can't fix. No experience with the latest programming techniques? Again, that's nothing that can't be remedied with a course or two and a project to tackle.

Hiring managers seem to take a very short-sighted view of potential hirees. The view is that candidates should come in the door already possessing every technical skill and relevant experience that's needed for the job. There is no time to grow into the job anymore; instead, companies want the "perfect fit."
This reader's letter is typical of the feedback I've received:

"I have been working in IT for 8 years. I'm an IT generalist, with a Bachelor's degree in MIS and no certifications. The only jobs I get calls for are entry level, ignoring the fact that I've had experience in managing an IT department and have significant supervisory experience.

"I feel that at some point business will realize the intangibles that people raised in the U.S. with varied experience bring to the table. For example, I served for 8 years on submarines in the Navy. From that I came away with the demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, learned to play well with others, and can follow a job through to completion.

"Others have similar skill sets, being able to bridge the gap between the "techies" and the business units. I don't know a ton about accounting, but my interpersonal skills allow me to meet with the Accounting managers and ascertain their needs, concerns and desires without scaring them away with geek-speak or condescension.

"Can I compete technically with many of the multi-certified people that are either younger than I, or filling a spot with a Visa? Probably not. Will I work as long or hard as them?
Probably not. But will I be able to better contribute to the goals and mission of the company? Definitely."

OK, hiring managers. I've had my say, so what about you? Do you see a dearth in skilled IT people? Are you feeling the pressure to ignore the good possibilities in order to find the "paper perfect" candidate? Are you concerned about where to find your future workforce?

Cheers,

Bluetone

AlexCuse:

Try this one on. ;)

I have a high school diploma, and about a dozen college credits. No college degree, and my only certification is being an A+ instructor.

However, I have been programming since I was about 13 (I'm now 40), I've written software for Tandy Corporation, Pitney Bowes, the American Hotrod Association. I've written business applications, utilities, and so forth, and have spent over half my career in the medical field, developing medical software, including charting and treatment planning systems.

Am I unskilled? Well, the hospital I applied to evidently thought so... all I got was a "Dear Applicant" letter after I sent in my resume. Never even got considered.

However, a kid whose hand I held more than once when he was "stuck" doing some basic networking stuff got a job at the same hospital; he had his Associate's degree, was 22 years old, and only about a year of experience.

Here I am, with 10+ years of IT experience in the medical field.... and I didn't even get a call.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Greg,

Could it be that they were actually looking for someone entry-level, just out of college, not requiring too much money, but trainable for the future?

I've seen it more than once when very experienced people applied for jobs that were not meant for them (even though it was not directly said in the job posting) - and didn't get it, someone younger and less experienced did. Sometimes those people needed the job very much and were ready to take a slightly lower salary - but were not considered as overqualified.

Stella740pl:

Well, there were several IT jobs listed at that hospital, from 2nd level Administrator to Help Desk.... when I spoke to the person in HR (to follow-up and verify that they had gotten my resume), I mentioned that there were several jobs that I could fit into... I *really* wanted to get in at that hospital. But, I still just got the "Dear Applicant" response.

I'd like to think that it was just a "bid war" or something, but since I never put salary requirements on my resume (hoping that they'll call me if for no other reason than to find that out), I firmly believe that it was "Oh. No degree? Circular file."

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

I want to offer the other side of the arguement, I have the degree, master's in MIS, and I have the same issues with getting a job. I don't have the certs, and I have been left out because of that, even with the degree. I have worked in IT for 6 years now, from starting in a manufacturing plant, to a small corporate office, to a mid size corporate office where I am now. But in the process of all these job changes, I have applied for literally hundreds of jobs. The most bizarre thing I have found is I won't be called for a job in which the description exaxtly mirrors my experience, but I will be called and get two interviews for one wanting someone who has done Unix, which I've never done nor do I have it listed on my resume. Quite often, when I get to those interviews, there will be someone doing the interviewing who has no idea what you're talking about, or if you know what you're talking about. But almost without fail, if I am interviewed by someone with IT knowledge, and knowledge of the job, some of characteristics which make me good at my job will come out and be recognized (admitting I don't have all the answers, but I know how to go find them, having the basics down, the ability to learn on the fly, explain complex ideas to users with very little technical knowledge). It seems from my experience that too often the companies doing the hiring don't have the right person doing the interviewing. I have been intereviewed by accountants, by HR types, and that usually never goes well for me. I don't blow smoke in an interview, what you see is what you get, and too often, these folks don't have a good understanding of what the job really takes, I believe as someone mentioned before, the intangibles that allow one to succeed in this field. This is just my rant on the subject, but while I was job hunting, this was incredibly frustrating for me, often leading me to wonder why I had wasted my time in school, wondering if I wouldn't have been better off to just payout a ton of money to a cert mill and been done with it. Overall though, my education was worth it, because I did learn a lot of things that overlapped what I do, and since the undergrad degree was business, it really allows me a nice broad view of how IT affects the rest of the company, and vice versa. But a lot of the things I did learn were some intangible things that with age are negated, so there is some validity to the arguement that someone with years of experience really shouldn't need a degree. I once wanted to hire a guy with 10 years IT experience in the air force, but couldn't because the HR type insisted that position be filled with someone with a degree. Never did find a candidate as qualified as that guy was.

Greg,

You are probably right in the assumption that no degree means the circular file. I spoke with a HR director for a local plant and his response was "Well we have to have some sort of filter and degree is one"

The upshot of all this is that HR people most of the time dont have a clue of the job or what is required to actually do the job.

Not saying I would ever consider it, but I wonder how many companies actually check if the job candidate really has a degree.

Likewise, I wonder how many job candidates list a degree, but don't have one.

Also, of those, how many get hired.

Those would be some interesting stats.

--Gooser

wvajenm,

I also have master's and no certs, but I don't remember anyone anywhere asking me for them. Actually, I do have a couple, but they are mostly irrelevant - too old and not in the technologies I am usually working. I've got them because, at one point, I wanted to change technologies - but with a short relevant experience, these two certs didn’t get me the job I wanted. My previous experience and the degree did. (By the way, I don't remember being interviewed by accountants or HR types - ever. If hiring manager is not the person who knows what the job involves, usually someone who does is also present.)

Gooser,

I wonder how many companies actually check if the job candidate really has a degree... Likewise, I wonder how many job candidates list a degree, but don't have one.

I know one, a former neighbor, with an unfinished degree, but listing it as a complete. Don't know whatever happened to him now, but back then he had a reasonably good job.

From my personal experience: I have a foreign degree; always listed it in my resume, and was never before asked for a proof, until my current job. But as far as I believe, someone from the company knowing the language did some informal check. (On my husband's last job, someone called the foreign school in which he got his PhD and then taught in it for a number of years, to check.) On my current job, I was asked to actually go and evaluate my foreign degree in one of the places they trust, so I did, and I now have a document of American equivalency of my degree.

I wonder how many companies actually check if the job candidate really has a degree
Worked for a Fortune 500 company and they didn't check, though I started out contracting.

Worked for the federal gov't and they did check (background check, whole shebang).

Worked for one of the top internet retailers and they checked.

Worked for a Fortune 100 comopany and they checked.

Most companies today, if they are of reasonable size, will check because of security and protection from theft, data loss, shorting the books, etc.

I know one, a former neighbor, with an unfinished degree, but listing it as a complete. Don't know whatever happened to him now, but back then he had a reasonably good job
Most are fired if they are proven to have lied about academic qualifications. And rightly so. There are more that do this than people probably think, to give them an edge in a cut-throat job market.

There has been a crackdown on diploma mills, or there was for a while. People pay $200 and get a "degree." Sham.

Greg-

That really sucks. I am glad that where I work did not use such a 'filter'. I should think that so many years of experience would put you at least on the same level as someone just out of college. I suppose that to some HR people, the only thing on any of our resume's that they would understand is the degree part?

That really is a shame though, have you considered taking night classes towards an associate's degree or anything like that?

kHZ -

Not sure if this is true, but I heard someone who I went to college with was working at a hospital after school, and she had taken calculus several times (and not passed). When they asked to see a copy of her degree she photoshopped someone else's! I don't really talk to her, but if I ever run into her I plan to confront her about this. Hopefully she has at least passed calc by now!!! I am sure she would rationalize saying as a lab technician when will she need to use calculus, but how would people feel if they knew that a submitted sample that employment, life insurance, or even medical treatment is dependent on would be processed by someone with such questionable integrity? I for one would not feel comfortable, and I would rather hire someone who is honest about missing the class than someone who would go to such great lengths to lie about it.

My question is, if there was not such an emphasis on having a degree in today's job market, would people still lie about it? My hunch is yes, because such people will obviously do anything they can to get an 'edge'.

Do we need to follow the cycling and track and field associations' examples, and implement testing for 'resume-enhancing nomenclature'???

Sorry to be long-winded, I just had to add my 2 cents on this subject.

It's a magical time of year in Philadelphia. Eagles training camp marks the end of another brutal season of complaining about the Phillies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back