Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SKI.EXE, KGQ.EXE, IUI.EXE in the startup menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurthuric

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
US
I have a network that has both new and old computers on it. 35 new and about 25 old computers. The old computers are running.....98...I know..problem right there...but...

There are several of the 98 boxes doing something strange. Three files, not shortcuts, but the actual files appear in the startup menu. KGQ, IUI and SKI. All are EXE files. They launch when the computer boots up, of course, they are in startup. They cause a lot of bogus print jobs all across the network...

I delete them from the computer, clean the recycle bin, and they reappear in the startup folder. I have run symantec on the computers and no virus shows up, but I cannot get rid of these files. I have tried deleting and rebooting, but they reappear no matter what I do.

I have searched the registry and have found nothing. There has to be something in memory making these reappear, but I cannot find it.

Please...help......

You might also want to try some of these faq760-3862

I would say a virus. Have you updated your a/v programs. I think the new variant of Bugbear that came out a few weeks ago(BugbearB) has these symptoms (network aware for infection and causes spurious printer jobs).

Peter G

And dont be so disparaging about Win 98 ;) - it might be aging, but Win98 SE is still my pick of OS's for all-round purposes. (Who needs the complexity of Win2k and XP for all but corporate needs?).

Peter G

VIRUS!! - :)

I agree with PGriff. WINDOWS 98 SE is the best.
Windows 2000 is for networks, so its not really for gaming.
Windows ME is buggy
Windows XP is OK, but microsoft still charge over £100 for it just because it has a pretty taskbar! Even the upgrade is £80!!

The only way I'd get XP is if it came with a new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back