Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SK98/WINDOWS 10 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDane

Technical User
Jun 2, 2005
US
ANYONE HAVE HANDS ON WIN 10 AND SIDEKICK 98? With the new release in July 29 tho't someone might have been in the testing aspect of the new MS OS. If so, have you tried Sk 98 or any other version of SK with Win 10? The Win 10 reviews indicate it is compatible with software run win 7, 8 & 8.1. Since SK 98 can't run in the normal program files X86 folder but in the root or program folder I am concerned to confirm it will run in Win 10 before opting for the free upgrade.

Well, I thought I'd put in my 2¢. I was panicked by the thought of losing my SideKick when Win10 began importuning me to update. But, one day, my spouse who has a computer of similar vintage to mine, also running Win7 Home Premium, decided to click on the Win10 upgrade (without bothering to consult her "technical advisor"). So, after dithering for a few more months, I decided to try installing SK98 on her computer. I used the instructions for installing from "floppy disks" (they're still available at: given by HenryW in another thread ( I installed in root, i.e. c:\Starfish\Sidekick98, after having first changed the properties of the installer to be compatible with WinXP and also telling the system to run as admin. So that worked like a charm. I copied all my data folders over and was good to go...on my spouse's computer.

When I finally pulled the trigger on "upgrading" my computer to Win10, things pretty much went without a hitch. Low and behold, my previous installation of Sidekick98 on my Win7 computer was still fully functional on the new Win10 installation. I didn't have to do anything! Yay!

FWIW, my techie brother-in-law laughed at me two weeks ago when I mentioned I was still using SideKick. He thought SK had disappeared with the death of DOS. But what does he know? He also thought there was no need for one to find an iOS app that simulated one of those most excellent RPN scientific calculators HP used to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back