Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sk98 Backup "Insufficient Disk Space to....." 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich224422

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
Just installed SK98 + the patch. (Had SK95 in past). I have been doing my SK95 backups to my second hard drive, with success. All going very well for the second day of SK 98....until I tried to do my first SK98 backup to that second hard drive. I get an error message "Insufficient Disk Space to begin backup...Insert another disk".

I am running Windows XP (Home), on PC. Plenty of Hard drive space on both drives. Checking past threads I find one suggesting backup first to floppy. My UserData file is too large for one floppy and am not sure you can use more than one floppy for a single backup session.

I could burn to C/D but that renders the files as "Read Only". I could also simply copy the UserData File into the second hard drive but am uncertain if that would allow restore?

I'll wager there is a simple solution here but I am just not sharp enough to figure it out. So, I await reply from some helpful soul before doing any of that copying, etc.

Boy do I love and treasure this site!

Rich224422

Dear Rich224422,
As you may have seen from the other posts on this issue, I am not a great fan of the inbuilt backup and restore program in Sidekick and prefer to use the automated method with a utility like:
SecondCopy2000
see:

I do find sometimes with the program (SecondCopy), that if I do a CTRL+L (Save all) in Sidekick, when the SecondCopy program is actually copying files, that an error message comes up like the one you have previously mentioned(insufficient disk space...), but as soon as the SecondCopy program has finished copying the files, the CTRL+L shortcut works perfectly.
I am of the opinion that this is down to the way File Locking works with both programs.
With Second copy you MUST specify ALL the Files that make up the Calendar/Resources/Cardfiles/Templates or else you have NOT backed them up, see the FAQ pages here at Tek-Tips.
How do I backup all my Sidekick98 Files?
faq807-2807
See also:
All the Starfish FAQs1 faq807-2966
All the Starfish FAQs2 faq807-3000
Remember you must specify all the files and I must point out too that the Calendar & Write files do not get backed up if the Sidekick program is open.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

One day later update. Go figure! The inboard SK 98 backup program works...so long as I try to backup to floppy "A" drive disk. Still unable to backup to a second hard drive.

I suspect James33 will be seeing this (you seem to get the award for top helper.) I am still wondering if you copy the entire UserData file, will that do the backup thing?

Thanks again James33. To date, yours is the only reply.

Rich

Rich22442

Rich

I've been copying my userData directory to a CD-r/w since Feb/04 (when I lost my data). I've be doing a few re-installs with Sidekick 98, an copying the old userdata files into the new userdata directory and all appears okay.

Have you still got the sidekick 98 patch?
Where did you get it from?
Without the patch things seem to be working, but once in a while, sidekick 98 loads but nothing shows on the screen.

Dear DAGUY,
See this faq here at Tek-Tips for the current address of the download site.
Just click on this link to go there
faq807-3761

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Thanks DAGUY. Yes, I installed the patch right after the program. I see that James33 gave you the link for the patch. I first noticed the "Read Only" thing when I was trying to keep two computers up with the same data from SK 95. Have not tried the CD burn with SK 98 yet.

Since CD data generally cannot be modified, I think this is why it comes out read only. My solution was to copy the file from the CD backup to a Temp file and then change it's attributes to something other than "Read Only." I then copied the entire "new" UserData file into the existing diretory for SK, replacing the UserData file found there.

I still think it is odd (but then lots about SK is odd) that it will let me backup to floppy disks but not to the second hard drive.

In any case, this is a great progam and I will just live with its small problems.

Info. for other SK users: I laid my hands on a CD rom that had the programs for MS Office 95. This contains the Microsoft Schedule+ program. From my experience with SK 95, I rate the Schedule + as a minus and do not recommend it. It is not nearly as versatile as any of the SK programs.

Thanks Again

Rich

I don't know if this is the same question...I hope not. Recently, it didn't happen originally, and I don't know what has changed, I cannot restore Sidekick 98 files to my WinXP machine. The error message I get is:

Insufficient Disk Space

Drive C: Free space -1357692928 bytes

The hard drive, needless to say has plenty of room. The backup works, just not the restore.

Thanks.

Sakittay

I've never used the built in backup program of any version of sk since I started using the windows versions in 1994 (or was it 1993?).

Anyway, copying the files in the userdata directory is all you need to do. Restore is just copy the files back to that directory. What I do is use the command line version of PKZIP 4.0 (supports long file names on all versions of windows) to zip *all* files in the userdata directory to a zip file. I actually have a batch file I wrote that keeps successive backups, I think 7 in all, so that if a corruption happens I should have a backup that is before the corruption. My experience has been in years past with SK for windows 1.0 and 2.0 that by the time a corruption in the data files is noticed, that corruption is already in your latest backup. Hence I got into the habit of keepin a revolving set of the 7 most recent backups.

Gary Britt

Thanks for the help. I had actually done this, sort of, during a previous problem (I don't recall the specifics) and copied and pasted files...but I always assumed there was a downside to doing this...and consequences.

Sakittay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back