Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sizing problems with a Word-embedded flowchart 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craino

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2002
US
I have a Word document that has several embedded Visio diagrams. They are all basic flowcharts. Generally, they print out fine, but from time to time, a page will print out where the Visio shapes blow up to about two inches big and only a couple print out as the entire flowchart seems shifted to the right because of the huge size.

In the past, I've been able to correct the problem by double-clicking the object and adjusting the object margin. Sometimes, the Visio object frame was outside the Word page margin and that seemed to cause some problems.

I know have a document where everything seems to be okay, and one of the pages are still printing out weird.

Can anyone help? Thanks...

From what I have been able to determine this is a corrupted Word doc. According to Microsoft tech help site, create a blank document and copy everything EXCEPT the last paragraph mark from the original (corrupted) documeent. They say that most of the document formatting is contained in the last paragraph mark, and if it gets corrupted, you will experience unusual behaviors.

These are the steps I follow.
1) I would first delete the visio object and try to re-insert it.
2) If that doesn't work, then import the doc into a blank document.
3) And if there are still issues, cut the original doc WITHOUT the last paragraph mark and paste into the new.
4) If that still doesn't work remove all of the section breaks and copy the text only, then add the formatting back into the new doc.

I know that seems like a lot of work, but usually taking everything but the last paragraph mark works. That's always the first thing I try. This shows up in printing and either the object blows-up beyond belief, or shrinks dramatically.

For more info see this.... read Step 4: The Problem Document

Hope it works!
Meg

Meg - I marked your post with a star as it is extremely helpful and has lots of great tips for damaged documents. The link to the MS FAQ has even more information and suggestions in it. Thanks a lot for responding to this long-dormant question.

Unfortunately, none of your suggestions resulted in a normal print. I must have some serious voodoo going on, as I was sure the combination of a corrupted last paragraph mark and copying into a new document would be successful.

Anyway - any last resort things to try?

You are going to be a tough one.....<grin>
ok, you tried resizing the image, you tried import/copy. What is the chance you are running out of memory (prob pretty slim). There are some other printing suggestions in the MS site.

Is this object embedded or is it linked?
When you Insert|Picture|From File....
Highlight the *.vsd you wish to include. Then instead of selecting Insert, look on the right side of that button and you will see a down arrow. Click it and you will get the options to Insert, Link to File, Insert and Link. Try the Link to file. It makes the word doc much smaller, but when you print you need to make sure that you have the update options turned on (Tools|Options| and make sure the Update Links is checked).

You also could try some of the memory/printing suggestions from the MS site.

If that doesn't work, I would try to re-save the Visio chart to another name and bring it in again - couldn't hurt, prob. already tried it....

Say, when you imported the word doc did you kill all the formatting? Maybe you could cut/ to Notepad, and bring it in from there, that would make sure there is no formatting being brought along...????!!!!????

Sorry don't have any other clues.... If you get it figured out, let us know what you did....

PS...
YOU AREN'T RUNNING SHAREPOINT ARE YOU? If you are.... all bets are off! Wait for the official release....(and then wait for the fixes to that release)...<grin>

Good luck!

Ooops... forgot something...

In your tools options, you will need to check the Drawing Objects under the include with document section... then you'll get the image.

Sorry,
Meg

Meg - that option has been checked, just confirmed.

I took some of your suggestions and played around with the document for about 2 hours yesterday. Hard to believe the amount of time I've spent JUST trying to get this to print.

Anyway, under the theory that ending paragraph marks are the source of all evil, I copied the drawing printing weirdly (it is the second of three full page drawings), deleted the paragraph mark, then pasted the drawing back in. It printed fine.

Now I have another problem however. Getting page breaks to format correctly. Some objects seem to stay on the page fine - with a page break afterwards. Some objects seem to want to put the page break behind the drawing. Text on following pages also sometimes flows &quot;behind&quot; the corrected drawing. I know this sounds like the text flow option on the format object dialog. I've played with it and can't seem to get things straight.

Anyway, I think I'm on the path to enlightenment. I'm going to spend some more time on it this morning as it's a lazy Friday morning. Too bad I can't upload a file - I'd just put it here for you to look at.

Thanks for all your help.

For the page break issue, the best thing I can think of is to show all formatting marks and use the outline view. Also, (I believe you said you checked this, but just in case) Make sure the object &quot;In line with text&quot; under the format. Add a carriage return before and after the object to see if that help get things lined up.
Here's another little thing (I didn't know this until recently & it causes big headaches): When you delete a section break it takes on the formatting of the section AFTER the break you are deleting. If it is in a text box, then those are a PAIN - very difficult to format, so you might need to use the absolute locations under format|Advanced. Don't use text boxes if you can help it.

Also try to &quot;Reveal Formatting&quot; for the section you are having trouble (Format|Reveal Formatting - in 2002 - not sure where in prev vsns) That will give you more information about how the section breaks are set up. Worse case just keep adding section breaks until you get the result you need - Force that puppy!

I won't be able to look @ it this weekend, but if you want to continue this off-line, you can send it to me as an email attachment or something.... I kinda hate to post my email here, let me know if you have any suggestions, but I'll be happy to look @ it. Good luck

Meg

Slightly different issue, but related. Often, the flowchart has boxes and no text.

Use a PCL5 print driver, not a PCL6 and all is well. It's in a MS Help doc that I cannot find....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back