Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sizing a Server for new SMS environment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakeyman

Technical User
Mar 3, 2008
I'm trying to get a feel for how big of a server I'm going to need to be our primary SMS site server in a very distributed environment (most of our clients in branch offices on T1s). Our current client count would be in the 1000 range, but I want to make sure this SMS server can grow with us for the next 3 years or so.

Let's assume the worst and say we double in that time to 2000 clients, what kind of horsepower am I going to need in my Primary site server?

Yes I've used the Capacity Planner tool, and I think that data's too outdated and I'd rather get figures from people in the real world. So who's got that size SMS environment now and what kind of server hardware are you running it on?

I've got about 10000 clients on my Primary server and we've got a Proliant ML 570 with four processors. I have to say that the server has never been overloaded. For your environment a ML 370 with two quadcore processors should be more than enough. That's what I'm getting the for our SCCM 2007 server for my 10000 clients.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

We're looking at a 2-way dual core box with 4GB of memory and about 300G of storage after we build out the RAID array, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't way out of line.

You should be all set with this hardware. We have 2 GB of memory on ours and 200GB of storage.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

Bakey....that will be more than sufficient....

...as long as you aren't trying to run vista/longhorn :p

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix

@ncotton

Ha! Not yet, but I'm sure we'll have to deploy Vista (ugh) at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back