Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Size limit without any reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arieve

Programmer
Jul 12, 2001
DE
Hallo!

Need help with exchange 5.5.
I'm not able to send Mails with Attachments greater than 2 MB, but I didn't found a limit in the configuration of Exchange, or Mail Essentials, wich I use too.
Mail Essentials didn't have those Mails in his Logfile, so I think, this program don't get those Mails. The sender become a Replay which say that "MSEXCH:IMS:companyname:cn:nameofcomputer 3552 (000B099C) 18107495 bytes exceeds server limit of 2097152"
But I didn't found any limitation in the IMS configuration.
All this is going on, if I'm mailing to People out of the Company. Mailing Attachments with different sizes isn't any problem inhouse the company.

I hope anybody here can help me

Greetings from southwest germany
Arieve

take into account header information. this can contribute greatly to the size of the message. I take it smaller messages can get out ok???

Thank you for your response, but I think this is a misunderstanding. It's not the problem, that the Mails are too big. The problem is, that there is a limit and I hadn't placed any.
So the thing is: How can I blow off this limit.
As I said: I didn't find any limit on the IMS- or Mail Essentials-, or the Mailbox-Configuration or so.
I know where to change the limit usually but it was set to "no limit"...I already tried to set 20MB as a test but it didn't change anything at all, after a size between 1 and 2 MB the error appears...so please HELP!! ;o)

Greetings
Arieve

Hi Zelandakh!

I've checked the limitation og attachment size on Mail Essentials

I've checked the limitation of mailsize on Internet Mail Service

I've checked the limitation of mailsize on MS Mail Connector

and last but not least I've cecked the limitation of mailsize on the Mailbox.

But I can't find any limit. All the limit-configuration said "not limit".

Greetings
Arieve

Just a thought. What are the symptoms? i.e what message/action do you get.

I just wonder if it's possible that the limit is somewhere else, like your/recipients ISP - is your server not sending the message, or is the recipient not receiving it? If the latter, it might not be your server at all.

Hi Simon!

Oh, I want to mail to someone out of my company with a attachment greater than 1,5 MB. The Trecking-Log said, that the Mail has reached the IMS, but it seems that Mail Essentials (The program that normaly gets all the mails from Exchange and send them to the receiver) never get this special Mail (wich is greater than 1,5 MB), of cause it appears not in any Logfile I've seen and so the ISP can't ever seen the Mail, cause the Mail never reach the ISP (Internet Service Provider, right?).

On the other side there is no problem if I send such big mails within my company.

Greetings
Arieve

Hi Zelandakh!

My ISP (InternetServiceProvider, is this correct?) said, that he dont set any limit on us. :-(

Greetings
Arieve

Then I suspect it's something to do with Mail essentials, as big internal mails arrive OK.

Regret unable to help with that - I've never used it.

Do you have an x.400 connector? There is a message size limitation on the advanced tab for that one. Tom Jacobson ...
MS Exchange admin, NT admin, Intranet admin, Virus protection, Frontpage, VB5&6, Access, Crystal Reports

Thank god, some people with the same problem!
I have a client who has reported this in the last week when no problem existed, and it's been driving me insane!
Like others, i cannot find any restrictions on size of attchments, and internal mails work fine.

Even disabling forwarding mail to our ISP and resolving thru DNS seens to suffer from the problem, so no issues with restrictions on the ISP side.

Have also tried applying SP3 for Exchange as it was unpatched, no difference found.

I also get notificiations of communications failures with IMC, so a wild off the wall thought... what types of connections are we all using?

My customer is using a Netopia ISDN router, ring any bells with anyone?

It sounds as though there may be a default left that has a size limitation built into it.
go to the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameters

and check it for the size parameter. The maximum registry value allowed is 4,294,967,295.
As far as attachments, there is a max value of 16GB, otherwise if not set, the default is based on available disk size

I would also look at MTAs and see if they have size limitations. If none have been set, I would look at the default values and check them out.

I HAVE FOUND IT!!!! YIPEEEEEE!

The reason of the limit is not Exchange! On a second Server (Win 2000) runs a POP3-Connector (Mail Essentials) and as part of Win2000 ther is the Internet-Service-Manager and ther are the limit. You can't see it on the Mail Essentials configuration, or in Exchange, but in this Internet Service Manager is the limit configured.

Greetings
Arieve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back