Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Size Does Matter! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgrimmy

Technical User
Nov 22, 2002
US
Hi again all, I apologize for the length of this post. I wanted to give all the info I could.

Components are:
Win98SE (I’m trying to install XP)
ASUS A7V8X MB (with latest and greatest BIOS)
Maxtor 5T060H6 60 gig HD.

I have been trying for a week to set up the HD for 60 gig without using the EZ-BIOS program. My MB will only recognize it as 32 gig. Downloaded the latest BIOS 3/03 I think. I have formatted and fdisked so many times I can do it from across the room! No luck only 32gig. Ran the MAX BLAST software that came with the drive, it sees 60 gig!
Used it’s format, partition and “low level format” a dozen times, no luck the computer, format.and fdisk still only see a 32 gig.

Trudged off to Best Buy, purchased a separate HD controller, I was told this is the fix! 2 more days of format, and fdisk…..32gig!

Downloaded a program called Wipeout, this is supposed to clean everything off, this has to be the answer, nope! I now have windows installed on a 60 gig HD that I can use 32 gig of!

I can’t think of anything else to do! My MB is only a few months old (it has a blue plug- in for the HD, I’m told this means something?) I know the drive is 60 gig, why won’t the computer see it? By the way I tried to make 2 30 gig partitions on the drive also, this did not work either.

I’m going to get this to work somehow, I really need any advice I can get.

Thank you all in advance.
John

Drive is jumpered correctly? (some have 'limiting' setting for backward compatibility - eg, with mobo's which can only cope with 32GB drives).

As you say - new mobo - so should have no problem with drive this size. Have you tried it in both IDE slots? Have you played with bios settings (eg, putting in manual figures as well as letting it auto detect?). Have you access to another large drive you could try - just to see if its just your drive or not.

PS. Does it appear as 32GB on the POST screen at boot?
PPS. Don't suppose you have a 2k or XP install CD - could boot from them and see what size their partitioning tools think it is.

Thanks for the reply WOLLUF,

I thought I had put all the info in but I forgot to mention I checked double checked and goofed around with the jumper settings, no change.

POST shows 32 gig, I have manually put in info and let it Auto find, still no sucess.

I have not tried the other IDE slot, but I have tried a seperate HDD controller, I'll try the other slot (Hell I'll try anything! :))

I actually have XP installed at the moment from a update cd.

I had heard that it may see the drive properly, it only sees 32.

Thanks again for the ideas, keep thinking!!

John

The blue plug indicates that it is a high speed port and wants a highdensity cable which should also have a matching blue header. Cable is 80 conductors with grounds between the 40 signal wires. Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Edfair, is that what I need to solve my problem? My cables do not have blue ends.

John

It sure wouldn't hurt. 80-pin conductor ATA cables are needed to attain true ATA/100 speeds. I've never heard that having the wrong cable could affect size, but I wouldn't be surprised. An older ATA/33 (40-pin cable) just doesn't cut it anymore.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Sorry to push the issue, but if your BIOS is seeing the drive as 32 GB, AND your current version of your BIOS is able to see a 60GB drive, then I agree with previous ideas of a jumper problem.

Just to be %100 sure, look at the back of the hard drive. As you are looking at the back, the IDE connector should be on the left side of the jumpers, and the power connector on the right. The jumpers area should look something like this:

: : : . :
^
/| |

J46

Now, if you have a jumper positioned VERTICALLY across the J46 pins, then it IS in the Cylinder Limiting position, thus causing your issue. If not, then I appologize for going back over this, but at least we are sure!!

Hope this helps! [thumbsup] Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

I feel sooooo stupid, I'm sorry I wasted all your time.

I know I tried all the different jumper settings I could, I don't know if I was just so frusterated or if I had the hdd so screwed up from formating and screwing with it that it just did'nt work.

At any rate I put the jumpers as Mudskipper said and WAHOOOO! Bios sees 60+ gig! Windows still sees only 32 so am I right to assume I must start all over with a fresh format?

You guys are the very best and I really appreciate your time and knowledge.

Once again you saved my bacon.

John

Jgrimmy -- Yeah, go ahead and wipe the partitions, reformat, and you'll be good to go!

BTW--everybody misses something sooner or later, so don't be too hard on yourself! Also--thanks for posting back--I'm sure that all of us would rather know what the problem was (no matter how silly you feel) then to not get any kind of update from you!!!

[thumbsup]

wolluf -- Good catch! Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back