Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sites and Services vs IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

loganking

MIS
May 5, 2002
US
I've been having a problem with machines in a certain site taking a long time to logon. Now in their ip subnet there is NO domain controller, but they are included in a site that has a domain controller that isn't very far away from them... Now this is my question..

Their(The pc's at this location) IP range for example is 10.16.20.1-255

The domain controller that is in the site where they authenicate to is in the IP range of 10.36.20.1-255

BUT!.. BUT!.. when you ping the full domain name(ping domain.com) and your suppose to get the closest domain controller first followed by the next one. It shows up with another domain controller with the IP of 10.16.24.1-255

Now.. when you check the registry for the dynamic site name is shows the correct one. But I'm wondering if Sites and Services somehow thinks I set it up wrong and is going by the IP range. -Thinking that really 10.16.24 is closer than 10.26.20 ???

If you have any ideas please share them. This problem has been irritating me all day long.. ;o)

loganking,

The ping test would seem to have more to do with DNS than with logon stuff. Do you have a Global Catalog running on that local domain controller? That's pretty key to the solution. As to how to force them to logon to that domain controller, I'm not sure...perhaps a site-level group policy?

Dave

No DNS is setup fine. Eexcept for the fact that it picks the closest domain controller IT thinks it is by IP.(I think, I just see it choosing that as the first domain controller) Yes the domain controller is a global catalog server.

My biggest concern is if its actually authenicating with that server and not the one in its site..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back