Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sites and Services Query 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diffy1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2005
GB
Hi

Our firewall is hosted by our ISP who recently setup remote VPN access into the office via a Cisco client. In order to set this up we provided an IP subnet for the clients not used such as 192.168.138.X. However each time a remote user is authenticated remotely the system log of the DC authenticating reports the following:

During the past 4.08 hours there have been 3 connections to this Domain Controller from client machines whose IP addresses don't map to any of the existing sites in the enterprise.

Can I just setup a new Subnet for this purpose only?

Many thanks in advanced

Diffy

What you should do is create a new site and associate the subnet with it. But if there is no DC in the site you will need to associate the subnet with an existing site.

ecunupe is right. That subnet for your VPN needs to be associated to a specific AD site. As soon as you do that, the event log entries should stop.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thnaks Guys; can I just recap:

1. The 192.168.138.X subnet used for remote access to give IP's to remote clients.
2. The above subnet doesnt have an DC in it but lets say for example that the Default-First-site-Name contains a DC.

Thefore I need to:

1. Create a new Site
2. Create a new 192.168.138 subnet
3. From General tab of the 192.168.138 subnet click the drop down and select Default-first-Site-Name

Many thanks in advanced

Diffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back