Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site with Voicemail on r3.2 others on r8.1 Will it work? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apexis

Technical User
Sep 29, 2005
US
Main site has 406v2 on r3.2 and voicemail pro. Other two sites with 500v2 and r8.1. Release 3.2 didn't have a license for SCN but working with another r3.2 site just fine. For r8.1 sites we have SCN license and Essentials as well. Are we able to use the r3.2 sites voicemail for the r8.1 sites?

No because you cannot be off for more then one release.
Upgrade the 3.2 site with a new system if it is really needed.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Thanks. If we replace the 406 with a 500, are we able to transfer the vmpro license?

Yes, you can do a dongle swap.
But you must take care of some little issues like IP phones which require a license and the SCN requires a license on that site too.
you really need to know what to offer like the essential edition license which need to be there otherwise your preferred edition license will be dormant (vmpro license)

BAZINGA!

gotcha. so new 500 will need essential license then dongle swap for preferred. at what point is it best to upgrade the existing 5620sw phones to the latest software? while they are still on the 406? then do a reset of the phones and register to 500?

You first need to do the swap and then order the new licenses!!!
If you do the opposite then the old licenses disappear on the ADI site.
Upgrading phones is always best at the moment when needed so on the ip500.

BAZINGA!

will do. is there anyway to upgrade the config file or import information? or should i just start with a blank config?

With that kind of a difference i would reprogram it.

BAZINGA!

I second tlpeters reprogramming option.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Fine. Spent a little time but all is well. Thanks!

Tlpeter,

Got caught out like you believing you had to be within one major release version for SCN to be supported by Avaya (it's now a recommendation). The new product description now says:

Multi-Site Networking is supported between IP Office systems with differing software levels but network features will be based on the lowest level of software within the network. This option is intended to allow the phased upgrading of sites within a Multi-Site network and it is still recommended that all systems within a network are upgraded to the same level where possible.

Nearly lost a sale when the competition told the customer we were wrong when we said they had to upgrade an existing 406 to a IP500 when installing an IP500 at a new office and SCN'ing the two sites.

+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Then they have changed the docs as it has always been 1 release difference.

BAZINGA!

Avaya docs have only ever had a nodding acquaintance with reality.
when the early docs said 1 release it was the difference between 'Not supported' and 'Does not work'

There is not really an change in Avaya's position on this because if you do run into trouble they will just advise that the early release is not supported & refuse to investigate until the old one is upgraded.

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back