Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site update using SSH FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphgb

Instructor
Jan 17, 2003
US
The hosting site that I use requires that files be uploaded using Secure (SSH) FTP. I can't get this to work with DWMX.

I have installed the "plink" widget as suggested by Macromedia. When I click Connect To Remote Host, a window pops up that says "Please click OK after SSH login is cmplete. you should see a command prompt in the login window". Then a DOS window pops up and after a little while prompts for my FTP login ID and password. I enter this, and the DOS window indicated login success and says to hit any key to exit. The DOS window disappears.

I hit enter back in DWMX and I get an error "Unable to connect to specified SSH server. Please check your SSH profile settings or contact the administrator for the server." The SSH setting in Dreamweaver appear to be correct as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have SSH FTP working from within DWMX?

Thanks,
Ralph

Thank you for the suggestion. I apologize for not being clearer. PuTTY and plink are the files that I installed as per the instructions on the Macromedia web site with the link you provided. I am unable to get the SSH FTP to establish a connection with the error I described earlier.

hi!
Both progs exist/run independently of DW.....it was a workarround from MM_people to save development money and use some freebies.
so test both programms without running them from DW and if they still give u an error...well then your server is not configured right or (if any) your router has those ports closed or a typo :)
all the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

ralphgb,

Were you able to solve this problem?

I am having same problem connecting to SuSE Linux from DWMX. I figured that I needed to use current versions of PuTTY.exe and plink.exe and so I downloaded them from PuTTy download page.

After downloading latest versions and placing them in ~\ssh directory, I was able to establish an ssh connection but failed the FTP. My guess is that I need to configure my linux box to allow FTP connection (if only for one user and/or one local IP address).

What is your take on this?

Regards;

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

I have never been able to get this to work. I am manually updating my site using Filezilla, which supports SSH. This does not have the automatic site update features that DWMX offers, but at least I can update the site.

I am betting that what I need is to open FTP port and start FTP daemon.

Once I give this a try, I will let you know and see if you can have it working as well.

Regards;

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

OK, here is the progress report.

I am able to connect to my SuSE 9.1 box from DWMX but I am now having what I think is permissions related problems.

To get here, I did:

1. Downloaded PuTTy.exe and plink.exe from download page

2. I placed both EXEs in ~\configuration\ssh directory as per MM website instructions.

3. I configured a session in PuTTy and used this session to direct DWMX to target host.

4. I installed pure-tftpd from source media (CDs 2 & 5)

5. I started pure-tftpd using command as suggested in sample configuration file /etc/pure-ftpd. The command reads:

/usr/sbin/pure-config.pl /etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd.conf

Notice that the script is a perl script and so, you might need perl installed.

I am still not 110% there but moving forward. I need to look around to better understand how to configure this FTP server and solve my permission problem.

Regards;

Jose Lerebours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back