Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 1999
US
Hello,

I need to know how to do a search on key words in my local web site. Does anyone have any ideas on how this is done? DO I need special software. I am running an IIS server with ASP pages enabled. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
fengshui_1998

I'd ask in the ASP or IIS forums on how to do this - it would likely involve server-side code.

Hope this helps,
Dan

The answers you get are only as good as the information you give!

What kind of a search are you trying to do? Are you trying to develop a search feature for your web site? A bit more of information might help. :)

grx21

Thanks for your responses. Yes I am trying to develop a search feature for my web site, within my site's web pages.

I know there are some meta tags I can put in the html <head> tags but how these are used is what I need to learn.

<meta name="title" content="My web">
<meta name="subject" content="subject1/ subject2 / subject3">
<meta name="description" content="string1">
<meta name="creator" content="xxxxx">
<meta name="owner" content="xxxxxx">
<meta name="date" content="2002-04-08">
<meta name="validuntil" content="2006-12-31">
<meta name="robots" content="NOFOLLOW">

Thanks
fengshui_1998

Are you using ASP as the server side language for your pages?

grx21

You can either use a server-side script to do it - which may cost you money, and will certainly take a little time to set up, but will give you complete control over how the search works and how results will be displayed.

Alternatively, you can use a third party like to provide your search - it's less technical to set up, but you don't have the same level of control.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

I used Atomz on this site: That will give you an idea of what it can do (though it seems I have a bug in there).
Atomz shows search-context based ads at the top and bottom of the search results now, but it's pretty configurable.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Toccoa Games - Day of Defeat gaming community
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
"I'm making time

You can add a Google search function to your site, i.e. Google within your site or the WWW. It used to be free but I can't find it on Google's site anymore so I don't know if one needs to pay for the code. It's a pretty slick deal and if there are no objections I can post it.

Thanks guys for all your help. I think I will peruse all your suggestions and see which ones will work for my web site. At least it gives me a start in which direction.

Cheers!
fengshui_1998

Hmm... searched all over for it and cou;dn't find it. [blush]

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back