Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Review 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2002
US
If anyone could comment on what I've done so far....this is more or less my first sight. I don't know html at this point so I can't make many corrections in that department..and I can't afford Dreamweaver or other.
My knowledge of working with tables is also a little weak at this point. :(((
Any feedback/recommendations would be great.
..I was considering having the content in each page in an iframe...good or bad??
Also I seem to be having problems getting the iframe centered on the page

Sorry for rambling. :)

ChrisHunt

Sorry about the JS search engine thing. you're right. I don't use js for menu's, just form validation and such so I wasn't thinking about menu's when I posted. I usualy do most of my scripting server side anymore, no compatibility issues with browsers. if you really want to hide your site from search engines, use flash. ;)

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Flash:) didn't think about using that technique!

In case anyone is confused at this point...
I want to be able to secure some information on this site...but I also want to learn what techniques will not hinder a commercial site..in case I ever have one:)

My advice to you would be use asp to do your securing or any other "backend" stuff you need. you can not effectively password protect anything in javascript.

the reason i suggest asp is because it is probably the easiest to learn. it is pretty much written in english.

for example an "if" condition in asp

If x > Y then
process some code
else
process some other code
end if

is a bit easier for a beginner to read than the same in php

if ($x > $y){
process some code
}else{
process some other code
}

I myself use coldFusion which would be great if your webhost had the ability to support Cfm pages.

<cfif x gt y>
do some stuff
<cfelse>
do some other stuff
</cfelse>

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

I see ASP will probablly be easier for me to learn.
I will check whether or not my host supports Coldfusion.
..how many programming languages are there?! and how in the world do you decide which one to use/learn?!

Until you can get a more secure server-side script implemented, JavaScript would be a good "quick and dirty" place to start, and it would prevent the casual non-technically-adept visitor from seeing the information. If using JavaScript to password protect content, the majority of the visitors wouldn't know to check the source for the information. Here are a few choices.
bombboy said:
you can not effectively password protect anything in javascript.
I agree with this statement; However, my alternative choice would be PHP. It's free, and arguably the easiest scripting language to find free support for on the Internet. Because it's free, you're probably more likely to find a cheap host that offers it.

Those are my thoughts.

-Ron

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?”

~ Mevlana Rumi

murof siht edisni kcuts m'I - PLEH

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer your questions, Heather:
heather29926 said:
..how many programming languages are there?!
There are quite a few, but right now the "big three" are ASP, ColdFusion, & PHP (and don't forget about Perl).

heather29926 said:
..and how in the world do you decide which one to use/learn?!
It really just boils down to what you feel most comfortable with and what is most accessible to you. About a year and a half ago I was trying to decide which path to take.

I chose not to use ASP because I didn't want to be bound to Windows servers & Microsoft. Additionally, while the base install of ASP may come with IIS, some of the extra functions that are included in other languages are add-on's for ASP which cost extra.

I chose not to use ColdFusion because it wasn't free. If I wanted to do development work on my computer, I wanted to be sure I could run the code on my computer to test it out with IIS or Apache. Without shelling out extra cash, this wouldn't be possible with CF.

This left Perl & PHP. Both are open source and free. Both will run on either Linux/Unix or IIS servers. I did some research (some of it here at Tek-Tips) and decided to go with PHP. I'm very happy with my decision and haven't looked back since.

Each of the above languages are very good. If you have any previous programming experience, then they should all be fairly easy for you to pick up. If you've had Basic or Visual Basic experience, then ASP would probably be easiest for you to learn. However, if you've had C++ or Java experience, then PHP/Perl would be easiest to learn. I've never used CF, so I don't know which programming language it is most similar to.

Hope that helps.
Ron

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?”

~ Mevlana Rumi

murof siht edisni kcuts m'I - PLEH

ASP can handle everything you need. you can buy componants from third party venders to things such as file size manipulation and stuff like that, but it isn't as limited as you're making it sound.

I'm not trying to push ASP because I like it, I think it would be easier to learn with. Like I said it isn't even my favroite language.

you can also develop ColdFusion and test it for free on your PC. The trial version of coldfusion server becomes the developers edition after the trial runs out (1 IP only perfect for home testing)

I do agree you should learn what is comfortable for you depending on your background, or what is available.

If you're going to learn Javascript, PHP looks and feels about the same and you wouldn't have to learn too much more to go from JS to PHP.

I also recommend O'Reilly publishing for books on the language you choose, usualy a "nutshell" book. also has a lot of good tutorials too.

In your website, "other interists" is misspelled.

Should be "other interests" .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back