Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

site review

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgyboy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2002
AU
Hi just wanted to some feedback on photographers site i did (its my second flash site!!) Thanks to firegambler for helping with the last bit)
*r the photos clear and sharp enough
*download time
*overall style
*easy to navigate,different browsers,etc
Thanks for the input

Hello,

Does anyone know how I can make an e-mail form in flash?
I need a textfield linked to a database that will send me the users input. Something that will ask the user Name, Number, Address.

Cheers,

Billy

If you want it to be "automatic" and not rely on the user to actually send you the e-mail (with getURL & mailto), you'll have to use some sort of server side scripting... ASP, PHP, CGI, Etc.

But you can find several other with a search engine & "flash+mail form".

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

i hate being asked to click to enter. i can never see a reason for that.

why does the site then pop up in a new window which i have to resize.

downloaded ok win 98 cable ie 6

images were crisp enough but a caption to tell me what i was looking at would have helped.

navigation was easy and all worked.

I hate it when I see a flash of some preloader display between movies, scenes, pictures, sounds or whatever, that I have already looked at. Here I see a red "Loading", and I shouldn't.

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

Hello,

Hi thanks for the help. But I found a very good e-mail form.
I put an e-mail form on my family site.

Thanks,

Billy

Hello,

If anyone could reply this it would be a great help.
I just downloaded a FLA file from:
I put it on the web:
It won't start a new topic.

Try downloading this file and see if you can get it to work please. It's a small file.

Cheers,

Billy

P.S. My first name is Julian. That's why I put it on the board.

Hello,

This is the readme file:

########## PHP/Text Files Forum ############

For the first time.

1) Create a directory called Forum on your server.

2) Create 4 folders called Category1, Category2, Category3, Category4 in that directory (Forum).
These directorys/folders must be named those exact Names - Category1 and Category2 For example.

So it looks like this
Forum/
Forum/Category1/
Forum/Category2/
Forum/Category3/
Forum/Category4/

3) Change the permissions of each Category folder/directory to 777 - (on windows/Apache you won't have to worry about that) - If your using Win2k/NT with IIS - you will have to make sure the directorys have write permissions. Actually this may not work on Win2K with IIS web server - But will with Win2K/Apache web server.

4) Place the Forum.php file and Forum.swf in that directory.

5) That's it. Follow the notes in the Forum.php file and on the Forum.Fla file to learn how to customize everything - hopefully it's somewhat intuitive.

###############################################
You can change all of the settings / Paths to files fairly easily - Make sure everything is working in it's default state before trying to change everything around.

If you have Questions on the Forum or how to modify/install it please visit:

We'll try to answer your questions as soon as possible.

-Jeff Hill @ Flash-db.com

How do you set a permission in dreamweaver?

Thanks Bill and Oldnewbie for the review.
I still have a lot to learn in Flash, especially with Action Script.
Some of the things mentioned arent fixable because thats the way the client likes them (enter page/no captions)
I dont know why the site 'pops up' in a resizebale window because on all the computers i have checked it on it comes up full screen
*Oldnewbie - do u mean by seeing a red loading bar everytime u click a button that i should have different preloaders for each movie or that i should have less preloaders and make it more into a single movie??
I really appreciate the help/advice u guys give, keep it coming
Regards

No I ment that I accept your "loading message" (didn't see any bar anywhere!) on the initial download when a new selection is made. What I don't find acceptable, is seeing a flash frame of sort, of that "loading message" if I go back to a picture or a menu item I've already viewed. Your "loading" text should be in a movie clip, with it's visibility set to false to start with, and only turned on by your preloader if that particular picture or menu item isn't cached already.

But most importantly, I've discovered that if your press the "credits" button on "print&posters", that menu item disappears from the navigation bar and somewhat f... up the the navigation bar display itself. You should check that out!

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

thansk for that Oldnewbie, i fixed the bug that was screwing up the menu. As for the preloader my knowledge isnt that great yet and so i dont really know how to make my preloader dissapper once the flsh movie is cached in someones sight - know of any good sites that will help explain this to me??
Thanks again for the feedback,
Regards

You could post your preloader code or e-mail it to me and I'll have a look at it. Hit my handle for my address.

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

the code i am using is the same for all the movies in the site
on the second frame of the movie
stop();
waiting=true;

on the third frame of the movie
gotoAndPlay(2);

That's not really your preloading code! Is the actual preloader in each external movie? If so what's all the code?

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

I've said it a hundred times, and so you know what I am going to say. If you have something worth saying, why limit it to only people with flash. Providing flash is great, but needing an using an entry page (unless it is also serving as a choice between versions of the site (html and flash) it only serves as another hoop your visiters have to go through. Also publish at the lowest possible version of flash players that will let your site work. I can't give feed back because all I see is white, because the latest flash player of Linux isn't sophisticated enough to veiw your site.

the preloader code -
all the code i gave u is all that flash is using for it.
i didnt use any other code. I got the preloader from the FAQs in this forum (simple preloader for V4)
opening page -
i would get rid of it, but the client wants it there as it lets the really basic computer users know what they need to view the site. Customer is always right unless very,very wrong.
Flash version -
Thank u for pointing that out to me, i will fix that ASAP, i am still reasonably new to this so most things still float over my head.
Thanks for the feedback. This is all helping me alot and i hope i can help u guys out one day
Reagrds

PS Can i veiw any of ur sites??

the preloader code -
all the code i gave u is all that flash is using for it.
i didnt use any other code. I got the preloader from the FAQs in this forum (simple preloader for V4)
opening page -
i would get rid of it, but the client wants it there as it lets the really basic computer users know what they need to view the site. Customer is always right unless very,very wrong.
Flash version -
Thank u for pointing that out to me, i will fix that ASAP, i am still reasonably new to this so most things still float over my head.
Thanks for the feedback. This is all helping me alot and i hope i can help u guys out one day (although i doubt with ur knowlegde)
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back