Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

site review

Status
Not open for further replies.

isNaN

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
US
Hello all,

Thought I'd put my site up for feedback.

It's just a simple portfolio site.

Be critical, it helps.

isNaN(jaxon)

IE 5.5
1024*
NT dial up

took a while to load.
The nav is pretty cool. I like it.
I would fill the screen up a bit more. Lots of empty space floating around out there.

other then that I really liked the site. I found no ill errors in any code that I could see. unless you count the irritating MM everywhere :)
I don't think I would do your image loading in the body tag like that though.
ie
<body onload=&quot;MM_preloadImages('images/interface/upperleft/po.gif','images/interface/upper
right/portfolio.gif','images/interface/upperleft/dl.gif','im
ages/interface/upperright/download.gif','images/interface/up
perleft/pr.gif','images/interface/upperright/profile.gif','i
mages/interface/upperleft/co.gif','images/interface/upperrig
ht/connect.gif','images/interface/upperright/yah.gif','image
s/interface/upperright/yahpg.gif')&quot;>

as MM is doing that for you I suppose you prob. want to leave it I dare to learn more
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

one more thing.
spend some time to create a contact form. the email link thing needs to go for contact purposes.
you're running a business and making it easier for the customer to contact you is better. meaning don't make there email components do the work and instead have the server do it. I dare to learn more
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

Oops, I probably should have mentioned that it is pretty bandwidth heavy. It's not really intended for dial-up conections.

Thanks for the comments onpnt, and thanks for being patient with the load times.

You're right, I should use a form instead of the email link.

Do you have any suggestions on a better way to preload images? I know a little about JavaScript so just general ideas, techniques, methods would be fine.

thanks again,

isNaN(jaxon)

Hi,

Another dial-up here I'm afraid! Actually, it's not anywhere near as bad as many portfolio sites in terms of load times.

Regarding the pre-loaded images... maybe I'm missing something obvious, but are you actually using any of them? I couldn't find any reference to them in your code or scripts, and loading them manually into my browser, they didn't look like anything on screen. If that's the case, getting rid of it will speed things up a bit.

Again, very nice presentation. Very clear with a beautiful navigation bar. The only thing missing, perhaps, is a bit of text for those 'unsophisticated' clients. Then again, with such obvious talent, maybe you're better off without them!

hth

Wow, thanks for the compliments. I've been working in a cave by myself so it's nice to hear someone likes my work.

blueark: You're right, those preloaded images don't appear anywhere on the page or on any other page for that matter. This design was originally going to be dropped into a larger interface. That interface used those buttons. My intention was to finish the other interface, but as things are I'll probably redesign the site before I do that. I left the preloads in there because of that and then forgot about the fact that they have nothing to do with the current design. I guess I should just get rid of them eh? oops.

Actually, I've been struggling to find clients. If anyone has any tips or techiniques to share on how they find business I would really be appreciative.

Thanks again,

isNaN(jaxon)

Hi mate,

Apart from my pet hate for Iframes, it looks good.

A very big concern that I would have is that you don't have any text content, this makes it very difficult to get a high ranking in search engines, which in turn, ruins the whole point of the site.

I would strongly advise that you change a lot of the images that you use to text. After all, whats the point of a site if nobody can find you? [wink]

Hope this helps Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back