Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Review, Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUJUm0deL

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
US
OK, let me have it:
Made lots of changes, first off, removed the heavy JS files usage. Dug into the issue a bit more, and found out CF made using the <cfwindow> tag so darn easy that it was child's play; however, the major downside was the ridiculously large JS files.

PS -- forgot to mention some portions are blank or have test data as the client will decide how he wants to use that space...

Can you try again? HostMySite may have been doing some work on the server then. If anyone else gets a server error, please tell me the time (and time zone) so I can escalate to HMS...

Thanks!

Just from a "visitors" point of view, i didn't particularly like the way you have the menus.

When You click on Cooking you get a sub-categories, with MENUS and RECIPES. Clicking on MENUS and you get a list, Cooking / Menus with, Cocktail Party Menu and BBQ Menu to the right. Problem is, there is no easy way without reclicking on the Sub Categories / MENUS to get back to this Cooking / Menus...

The flow just doesn'e seem to be as free flowing as it should be.

Just a suggestions, why not when you click on MENUS, put the menu list below it under the sub categories side?

Just my two cents.

That was my original mock-up to have the links appear on the left under the subcat. The client wanted it this way. He felt the left side would be less congested this way.

Much improved loading time - but you will need to watch the photo pages, as the detail pages load the whole of the full-size images, even when only displaying the thumbs. This is just about acceptable load time with 4 pics on a page but may become untenable if you ever get to 8 or 10.

Let us know when there is some real content, as it is hard to understand what the left column is for with no content showing.

Steam Engine Prints

Thanks John. I'm going to see if I can resize the pics with lower resolution without loosing quality. I'm pressing the client on the left side and on the section placeholder.

I would LOVE to see some graphics on the right side of the white strip change for each pick on ther menu.

There are plenty of free stock gfix out there to make this happen.

The site looks plain w/o graphix

-
Mike
FREE CGI/Perl/JavaScripts

Hey Mike, yes, the right side will have images. The client is going to choose from his collection which ones to use. Right now, I just inputted some "place holder blurb".

Thanks.

If I disable images in my browser, there is no visible content.

While I appreciate that the site is in a 'in progress' state, more test-copy would benefit.

I'd also prefer a 2-tier menu. With your main menu being across the top (either above the Jay Weinstein 'logo' or below it) and sub-menu options appearing below (below the JW 'logo' if main menu at the top or below the main options if below).

There are no sub-headings on the left menu. With CSS disabled (text-reader), I have no clear separation between the menus and content.

From a usability aspect, I'd like to see the link text stand out more on a hover - underlined, bolder or a higher-contrasting colour scheme perhaps.

As another user has suggested, use header tags correctly - H1 > H2 > H3. Not H2 > H1 > H3.

Use titles on your link tags, makes sense to users navigating the site.

As a final note, if you have the opportunity to use url masking to 'pretty-up' the links, that should do you better for returning visitors and search engines alike.

Simon Clements-Hawes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back