Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Redesign in Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhouse

Programmer
Sep 17, 2002
GB
I have just redesigned our company site in Flash and was wondering if I could have some comments/feedback on what people think of it. The site address is
Just before anybody mentions this, I realise that the Flash file takes a while to download....I'm already thinking about splitting this up into smaller Flash files.

I know you mentioned this, but with dial-up I couldn't stand the wait for it to load. I think you should get to work on that before anything. also, close the splash window after the user clicks to enter. I dare to learn more
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

Same problem here. Wait for splash screen to load....click...wait for progress bar....still waiting...still...forget it. A client would have to be very dedicated to get to the content -- your competition is just a click away. At least put some indication of what they can expect to see so people can make up their mind if it's worth waiting for.

Suppose somebody is looking for another company called leapfrog. They'd have to wait quite some time before they realised they were on the wrong site, let alone figuring out what type of business you're in!

Cable Modem, over 20 seconds loadtime, perhaps over 25 (I started counting late).
As was mentioned above I think this will be your biggest problem. You may want to find a way to split these files up in some fashion. A good method doesn't come to mind right away, but...

notsobrightidea.gif

-Tarwn --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The irony of website for "leapfrog" loading slow...

Madhouse,

Overall I think it looks good. I like the animation and the design.

It was a little slow on the load as others have said (I have a pretty fast connection and it was around 25 seconds). Looking at the site I'm not to sure why. You might want to try loading in stages.
For example: Check to see if the main interface is loaded and let the user in at that point. Then you can continue loading in the background.
You will need to make checks when a user clicks on a button to see if that section is loaded yet. If it's not, tell flash to go ahead and load that section. One idea is to make all the sections independent .swf files and load them in on demand. You still want to avoid "loading" screens as much as possible, but going to great lengths to make the experience as seamless as possible will pay off.

As far as the design itself goes, as I said, I like it a lot. However, one thing I noticed is that the little feedback thing towards the bottom is a little redundant. It simply shows the company logo again and the text of the button flies in. Maybe you might think of putting an image relevant to the section inside the circle instead of the company logo. Just an idea.

Looks good,

isNaN(jaxon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back