Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

site loads on some computers not others

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsully

MIS
Sep 4, 2003
US
Not sure this is a browser issue but it deals with browsing and I can't determine what the issue is.

There is a website, failedsite.com, that my engineering department needs to access. It is one of their vendors. When they type in the URL, IE just sits and says it is "waiting for I wondered if this was a browser issue but Safari, Chrome, and Firefox do the same thing. So I think, their site is down. A compadre at another location tries... it works. I try from another computer. No. I try another computer. No. I try one of my servers. Yes! Server #2? No. Server #3 Yes! It doesn't make sense.

When I ping failedsite.com it returns IP x.x.x.x. I do an IP lookup on failedsite.com. It returns the same IP. So I believe dns is working. I even plugged in my friends dns server, that didn't help.

Have applied all windows updates with no change. My boss has the exact same computer I do. He can access the website, I cannot. One of the computers in the engineering group that COULD get there yesterday cannot today.

When I try to hit the IP of the website, it hangs again. From a computer that works, I get a landing page for an apache webserver.

Any ideas? I wasn't sure if I should post the actual site. it's a DIE making company that uses CAD software in their GROUP. uh .com

David

Users.....not just for breakfast anymore!!

By all means, post the site. That way others can have a look. Off the top of my head, I'd say to look for add-ins related to active content - does the main page of the site contain some flash or other media content? Make sure the appropriate plugins are updated on the browsers.

I tried to be sly in posting the site but I guess I could have just done it outright.

diecadgroup.com.

I thought about add-ins and updates to windows and IE. I installed all reccommended MS updates. Usually when there is an add-in missing, IE will drop the add-in/ActiveX bar at the top. But I don't get that. The tab in IE7 simply says "Connecting..." with the spinning progress annoyer. In the lower left corner, it says "Waiting for
OK. Yesterday, I could access the site from a couple of computers here. No ryhme or reason. Now today I cannot. I would love to hear what successes, if any, others are having.

David

They seem to be heavily using javascript and php. In fact it looks like they are trying to use javascript to prevent viewing the page source code (someone should tell them that doesn't really work ;-) and it prevents the page from being validated) I'm not too good at figuring out some of these javascript things, but it looks like they are using javascript to create a cookie. So the first thing that I'd look at is manually deleting any cookies for that site.

Their code also has a lot of bad path notation (double and even triple slashes) particularly for the images, but usually browsers will not choke over those.

They seem to be heavily using javascript ... In fact it looks like they are trying to use javascript to prevent viewing the page source code

I don't see it myself.. I checked 4 pages at random, home, "surfacing", "services", and "workflow" - and none of them had any javascript on whatsoever.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Well this doesn't appear to be a browser issue. I took my laptop home over the weekend and was able to access the site from my house. But that still doesn't explain why a handful of people here at work are able to access it while most cannot. We are running WebSense but I have PowerUser rights and am not blocked. Same as my manager who CAN view it. Plus if WebSense was blocking it I should get a blocked page from the application.

Continuing to investigate...

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back