Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Graphical Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussOSU

Technical User
Apr 16, 2001
US
Could people please review the graphics and layout (colors etc....) I am still working on the whole content and everything. This is just a personal site so nothing to big. A lot of just learning about everything. Thanks

Russ

The URL would help...lol [smile] I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

I love your minimalist approach to web design. Its so minimal its almost like its not even there. [WINK]

jaxon

Hi,

I like your site. I like the colors and the overall feel.

From a design perspective I would only suggest one thing. (Sorry if I am picky, but I personnally would do this). Your navbar dropdown thing on the right popups down when you click on a subject. The items that pop down should be moved more to the right so that they look aligned with that orange line, or just simply make the orange line extend the full width of the blue background part. I think moving them right a bit would look the best. Just my personal opinion and observation though, otherwise I like the site.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

Thank you for the suggestion. I really like that idea.

Russ

No worries.

We have all done it before.
(All except me of course ;-) )

Looks good, I think that you might want to make "Industrial & Manufacturing" a little brighter. I know it matches the rest of the page but that color blends into the black behind it and may not be appropriate for text. The transparency on "Engineering" has a similar effect to the legibility. I can barely make out the GFX logo at the bottom ( I am at a large screen res, so that probably doesn't help).

Other than some legibility issues the graphics look good.

I've never really liked visitor counters. I feel that they are usually just visual clutter, but that's just my opinion.

Hope this doesn't sound to harsh, this is the kind of critique I am used to getting.

HTH,

jaxon

Hi mate,

A few things,

The cursor should be a hand when it is over the navbar, if you want someone to click something, make the cursor a hand.

"Links" has to be one of my pet hates, it is the least useful title there could be for a navbar option, helpful links or useful links would be a better phrase to use.

I am with Jaxon about the visitor counter, people don't want to know how many visitors you have had, that doesn't affect them at all. You would be better using a hidden image and collecting stats.

The sentance, "I will be now adding a weekly Top 10 (click here) of my favorite current songs." would look a lot better if the "Top 10" was the link and you removed the (click here)"

Hope this helps Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

Thanks for all of your types. Jaxon you weren't near as harsh as I was expecting. I guess that means I am actually starting to learn a thing or two from my million mistakes. I will play around with the title bar and the text. The counter probably won't be in my completed page. I am making this page while finishing up my last year and a half of school so I only get to work on it for a couple days every month right now. I was interested in how many people have visited the site and my school server offered the counter but no other statistics so I just threw it on for my use.

Thanks again for all of your tips

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back