Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Administration stops / hangs up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avayavic

Technical User
Nov 21, 2005
DE
Hello,

since the change to a new notebook with Win XP Pro SP2 (old NB with Win2k SP4), i can only login and do only commands with short reply.

Example:
------------
This works:
display station
change station
disp vdn

Don't works:
list station
disp alarms

My ASA Version:
Integrated Management
Site Administration
Version 3.1.13

I have tried all Version, but have no resolution to this problem.

BR.

avayavic

Is it a dual core processor?

Option #1, if you bring up task manager, then right click ASA.exe under processes (asa needs to be running of course), you should get a "set affinity" option. Uncheck either CPU0 or 1, doesn't matter.
Then try the commands that you are having trouble with. You can do this every time you launch ASA.

#2, you can permanently change ASA.exe with a Microsoft utility called imagecfg.exe
Google it, there are downloads and instructions, it's also part of the XP resource kit. If you upgrade or reinstall ASA, you will need to rerun the utility.

Hello,

thanks for answering, but it is not an dual core processor.
It is an HP nx6125 with Mobile Sempron 3500+, 786MB Ram (128VGA)...

I'am not in the office, but i will try the Win2000 compatibility mode with options ...

br.

avayavic

Do they work using GEDI?

Thanks,
CJH

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

That's interesting, the only time I've seen the exact symptoms you state are on a machine with dual core...Sorry.

Hello,

no changes with Win2000 compatibility. I have tried to change network settings without effect.

I will now try to remove my ethernet adapter and let windows install it.
I used the hp adapter driver.

br.
avayavic

I am sorry that I do not have an answer for you, but I will say that I do not think the nic is your problem as you are connecting thru it. when you stated that you have tried all versions, are you referring to ASA? I will check further on this.

**The question may not be the technology, but the competency of the support people.**

Hello,

now my collegue has installed the Site Administration on an old IBM Thinkpad (T21) and he has the same problems.
(???)

We tried older Versions, but no changes ???
(V1.2, 2.1.1)

Have you tried the same login on a 715 terminal? Or if you are connecting to a S8300 or any S platform system, try using telnet to connect to the system. Use the w2ktt terminal type. If you are running into the same problem, you most likely have a restriction on your login.

Hello,

I'am using the same account on an other PC, there i can do everything.(nothing fails)

But on every new installed system, I can't use the commands with a larger response.(disp alarm; list station; ...)

I have tried to telnet to the s8700 but its the same problem.
Commands with long/larg response don't work.

thanks.
BR.

avayavic

Any chance that VPN is involved with this? Do you have a VPN client on any of these PC's?

I had a similar problem before and noticed that when I connected to the PBX using a c-lan card I had issues (some commands just locked up and then closed the connection) but when I connected using the S87xx server I did not.

I also noticed that when I upgraded my ASA but kept my same persist.dat file I had similar issues. If connecting via the S87xx server instead of the c-lan does not work then try uninstalling ASA and rebuilding it without moving your old persist.dat file.

JayNEC - Thanks for the tip man - I've been having trouble on my ASA running long process, and the imagecfg.exe seemed to fix it.

>mike

ACA ; ACS

Good, I was hoping it would help someone. I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere at all...

Hello,

me again. Now that Avaya couldn´t find the error, I found an solution.

I have set my MTU to 1300 (TCP Max. Transfer Unit)

So, the "short" (disp station) commands did not fill the whole TCP Packet, but when i did an list station... then more than one packet had to be filled. So the checksum of the tcp transfer was different because of different MTU´s ... blablabla ....

But now my ASA connection is working and its ok like that ...
but somewehere the media gateway is putting some bytes / bits to the overhead ... but i don´t know where...

Does someone know how to check it?
Where to look?

BR.

Avayavic

I have a different problem, but the title of this post is applicable.

At my old company we had CM2 and ASA worked fine. But now at my new company we have CM3 and ASA works okay, but if I'm doing a list command and want to cancel by pressing ESC it freezes and I have to end the program using task manager and restart the program.

Anyone else having this issue?

- Stinney

Favorite all too common vendor response: "We've never seen this issue before.

Stinney,

Check out JayNEC's solution at the start of the thread,I had the same trouble happening with the list commands, but changing the affinity of the ASA process corrected the issue.

>mike

ACA ; ACS

Hello Stinney,

have xou checked the release of your Site Administration.

Avaya recommends the latest Release of ASA, to work properly with CM3.x.

Which ASA Version are you Using?
How are you connecting? (LAN, Internet, NAT / GW)

If you have the latest ASA Version, then try using an Network Protocoll Analyzer Tool to see if there is an issue.
(Free Analyzers Ethereal / Wireshark)

Hope this helps you.

BR.

Avayavic

Changing the affinity worked. Thanks!

- Stinney

Favorite all too common vendor response: "We've never seen this issue before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back