Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sitching images 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iandmcanal

Technical User
Oct 10, 2003
US
I have Photo Impact on my own computer, however over the last couple of days I have been forced to use one having Adobe Photo Shop. I realise that I am dealing with unfamiliarity here, so I know I should make allowances, but Adobe Photo Shop seems to suck big time! It doesn't seem to be very user friendly, it takes forever to load,.. the 'help' is anything but, and I understand that the cost of this package is about 6 times that of Photo Impact.

All that said, I have been trying to stitch images together using Adobe Photo Shop, but can find no obvious commands for performing that function. I have scanned the help... but NOTHING! Do I take it that mighty Photo Shop cannot perform this simple task? If Photo Shop is so lame, why is it 6 times the price? I should like to give the system a fair trial but my patience is starting to run out. (Oh Photo Impact, where art thou? All is forgiven.)

Anyway, does anyone out there have any ideas for getting Photo Impact to join 2 pics together? (that is, where both images are transparent enough for you to see if they are a good match)

What do you mean by "Stitch" ?

If you mean to join two images together, side by side, OPEN both images in Photoshop (not Photo Shop), and do a Image Size to get the total size of both in width and height ( Image > Image Size ) For example:

image #1 is 800w x 600h
image #2 is 400w x 300h

Then make a new doucment ( File > New )

Dialog box comes up make the new image that will be wide enugh for both, and tall enough for the largest one.
So, your new image will be at least 1200w x 600 h.

I like to make it a little bigger so that I play around with placement.

1400 x 800

Goto image 1 and Select > ALL ( Ctrl + A ) and Copy ( Ctrl + C )
Click on new document and paste ( Ctrl + V ). Use the Move tool ( press V on your keyboard ) so that you can move the image to where you want. Do the same with Image 2.

All the rest is playing around with it.

Suggest that you read the Instruction manual that came with Photoshop as there are several tutorials listed in that book.

Thanks Wizywyg,

I'll give that a try. Man it seem like a heck of a lot of messing about though. In Photo Impact I can do it all almost in one go... apart from ensuring images are the same scale, I just click on which images I want to join and then slide the 2 together in the new window provided. When I am happy with the arrangement I just click on 'stitch' and that it, presto, a new image which I can save as a new file. Thanks again for your input regarding Photoshop though. I really do appreciate it.

Well, my position is that anything that makes it "automated" too much is not worth having. I rather have control over where I put things ^_^

Photoshop IS complicated and expensive, but the reasons why are that it is so much more powerful than PI. There are many many things you can do in PS that PI simply cannot do, and for designers, it is necessary to have these extra functions.

Granted, for some of the 'simpler' tasks, it seems like PS takes the long way round, and for many web graphic applications it can be easier doing them in something other than PS, but for serious graphic design work that involves complex operations, PS cannot be beaten. Persist with it if you are doing image editing for printing.

Roxio's PhotoImpression has a provision for this. My favorote by far however is ACDSEE which works similar to photoshop but takes many of the steps out You need to highlight both photos holding down cntrl and then "photostitch" option willliven on taskbar clickthat and it will bring the two roughly together leaing each manipulable to fine tune

Photoshop is the tool of Professionals, it is extremely complicated and it has large learning curve to it. Once you have spent the time learning how to use it you will find that it is an extremely powerful tool that does things that no other program does and it definitely doesn't suck. Inexperienced users who expect simple pushbutton control over their pictures suck. Spend the time to learn some Photoshop basics or find a way back to your old computer...

To kliot,

I have now blown away Abobe PS. Powerful or not, for what I want I don't want to be screwing around for ever just learning to do simple tasks. I wouldn't pay a brain surgeon to look at a scratch on my hand. I am going back to PI, and I may even check out ACDSEE as suggested by lkm222.

Actually, as a user of PI, I found PI just too limiting. Since I was student at a university, I pciked up a cheap educational copy of PS and have since ONLY used upgrade versions since at that time, you could upgrade from student versions to professional versions by just buying the upgrade versions (for 1/6th the cost).

PS has a steep learning curve? I just went and found some basic tutorials on the web and was making a website in less than 2 days.

iandmcanal,

You have made my point, Photoshop is not the tool for you. If you wouldn't hire a brain surgeon to look at the scratch on your hand then why are you trying to use a brain surgeons tools to take out a splinter and why are you saying the tools suck just because you don't know how to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back