Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP - when will Avaya IPO support this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IThack

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2005
GB
Seems crazy that a system sold as "digital", "IP", "VOIP", etc, doesn't actually support SIP. And as far as I can see, there's not even any consideration for supporting SIP.

Anyone know if Avaya will ever support SIP?

Maybe as SIP is open, they fear people using cheaper handsets.

It seems that the vast majority of IPO systems just use PRI for lines. And the IP phones are far from problem-free. So there's not acutally much "IP" about the IPO that actually gets used and/or works reliably.

Sorry, a bit quick off the mark and didn't search.

SIP will be suported in 4.0, or so it seems. Not sure when 4.0 is due, but I can imagine the first release is best to avoid using.

Does anyone know if they plan to support SIP lines as well as SIP handsets? Do we have to license it, or will it be crippled to Avaya-only SIP handsets?

sip trunks are comming in 4.0
the beta tests are going to be in the begin of 2007

thanks for the info

currently using H323 trunks(lines). not bad, but far from ideal. seems to have been implemented for avaya-only stuff though. "foreign" H323 is I presume, unsupported. fingers crossed, SIP should be better when their code is eventually debugged.

Beta trials start next week. Hardware shipping today. Due out first quarter (hopefully) of 2007.

Kris G.

What hardware? Isn't a 403/406/412 good enough now?

hmmm then i am not good informed

IThack

the IPO needs enough memory
they must be at least PCS 8 or 9 (what i have read here)

412 is OK with 4.0
403/406V1 is out (lack of memory)
406V2 PCS08 and up is OK.

Some 406V2 PCS07 is also OK. The ones I have tried have all had 64MB memory in them, and can therefore run 4.0

I heard a rumor of new chasis based hardware similar to sg series? Can Anyone confirm?

SIP handsets are also coming in the future, although they haven't said when one would guess in the last half of 2007.

46XX Handsets already support sip. Definity line they have been using sip since 2004. I do find it sad, the lack of memory on these systems. Thats one reason why we have to use loader version so we have to upgraded these systems 2 times. Not much planning ahead maybe we can start adding memory like cisco routers lol. The new 9600 series phones will support sip when firmware realse 2.0 in first quarter 2007 (hopefully).

Billy Bublitz
Integrity Windows and Doors

IP Office 4.0 (Beta trial started today) does SIP trunks meaning you don't need to replace any existing phones with SIP phones (yes, SIP using any phone you like including your existing ones, open enough?). Basically once a SIP trunk is configured like an IP trunk, incoming and outgoing call routing is much the same as for any trunk, just a slight difference of using SIP URI's in incoming call routes. Unfortunately it's license key controlled for the number of simultaneous SIP calls.

The main thing we all want to know about SIP & V4

DOES IT WORK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

PS
does it require VCM's. I assume it does for compression.
and I heard that SIP isn't included in the SOE V4 code. Any truth??

Jamie Green

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Does anyone have a full list of new features for V4.0???

Jamie Green

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

If SIP trunks are going to be licensed, then I presume that using H323 trunks is unsupported by Avaya. I wonder if H323 trunks will also become license-required in V4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back