Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP vs IP Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

WOTRS

Technical User
Aug 23, 2006
US
I have a customer that has a BCM 400 at one site and a BCM50 at another site and a MPSL circuit. Which is the best way to link the 2 site together, SIP or IP Trunking? Pros and Cons.

SIP is IP trunking.
There are currently two "flavors" available on BCM.
SIP (session initiation protocol) or H323.
I haven't worked with SIP too much yet, but one limitation I recently ran into with SIP is an inability to pass DTMF tones.

So, you do need to use VoIP trunks.
The type is up to you, but personally, I'm still partial to H323.

Good Luck!

-SD-

You knew what I meant. We call H323 IP Trunking to make it easy around here. No DTMF pass-thru huh? I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks for your input SupportDude. Much appreciated!

SIP is what Nortel sales has been pushed hard

Some of your problems are resolved with BCM 50 3.0. We will enter in beta trial next week ( september 3rd). GA is targeted for november 26th.

H323 has been tried and tested for a few years now so it is the most reliable. BCM 50 R3 will shuold be a very interoperable SIP implementation and should be approaching the reliability of R3. So I would say for BCM 4.0 and M50 R2 use H323.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back