Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Trunk or FXO on Avaya IPO 500V2 3

rudy_avaya

Systems Engineer
Jul 11, 2024
GB
Hi All,

My first thread here so bear with me. I’ve got an Avaya IPO 500 V2 CU, and I’m struggling with SIP trunking slightly. I’ve got essential edition with 12 EP licenses.

Essentially I’m not sure how exactly to get the trunk configured. I have a line with the appropriate information but not sure if I need a shortcode etc to get it working? I am UK based and Dialling out currently gives the “Waiting for Line” and 5 beeps every so often on any of my 1408 or 1616 phones.

If I can’t get SIP trunking working then I suppose the next port of call would be FXO with a gateway. Currently I have 2 Combo 500 cards (1-6 DS, 7-8 PHONE, 9-10 BRI 4U). I’m used to working on Cisco CME where I can add a VIC3-2FXO, I’ve heard I may be able to use PRI as four FXO lines but not sure just yet how to go about it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Best wishes to all, and come on England!!
-RR the SysAdmin

Who is your SIP trunk provider?

Also...you'll need SIP Trunk Licenses

I am UK based and know my way about IP Offices pretty well so happy to help.

Calum M
ACSS

do you have SIP trunk Licenses?

once you have a sip trunk you can assign outgoing group ID to the specific URI and point an ARS table to that group ID

short codes typically point to the ARS table ...

in US we typically dial 9 for an outbound call
so there is a shortcode 9N that dials N to the ARS number ( this strips the 9 and sends the call to ARS)
in ARS we do our number matching and manipulation , sending 911 calls to different trunks, blocking 411 or 011 calls etc. but we then dial N out a line number that matches the actual line group ID ...

those BRI ports are not going to work with your 2fxo ports on that cisco, you will either need a ATM(Analog Trunk Module) combo card or a ATM card on a different base card ...

good luck.

Hi All, thanks for your responses. I have no Trunk licenses but it didn’t cause an error so I assumed it would be okay. No worries then I think FXO will be the best way about it. Which addin card would be best for just connecting one or two single pair telephone lines to the system? And any licensing implications for this?

I’ve learned basically all my Avaya knowledge in two days on this forum so massive thanks to everyone for the information also.

Thank you CMUK - If I can get the analogue cards and connect to an FXO gateway then I should hopefully be good to go. Do we think a basic SPA gateway with an FXS port on it will work well enough? Possibly two ports actually for two lines. I could try a PRI or something to an adapter but I need to keep power consumption really low.

Thanks again!

You will need release 10 or above to be able to add SIP trunk licences.

Not sure of your set up but the SIP trunk would be line 17 by default so that would replace the default line 0 in the short codes.

You should be able to get trial licences and some SIP providers have trials.

You can get BRI to SIP converters e.g. iSIP but is neater to do it all in the IPO.

Hi IPOhead,

Yes I figured as such since the licensing is quite tough. We have an existing SIP service that we use for the business and home numbers.

A BRI to SIP converter would work but far too pricey for me at the moment. Is there any card for the IPO 500 that I can use, that will provide me with some way of connecting POTS/Analog PSTN lines, and which would you recommend? I would rather do it in the IPO but I’d like to keep everything on R7 while it still works.

Appreciate all the help.

RR

You'll need an analogue trunk card which gives you 4 ports but this needs to be mounted on a base card and the cheapest one is Phone 2 for two analogue phones. The later versions don't work on R7.

There is a combo card with analogue instead of BRI trunks which is slightly more expensive but you get all the extra ports.

This is going to be expensive than the IDSN adapter unless you look at used.

How many lines do you need?

Hi there,

Looking to run 2 or 4 lines from an ATA into the IPO. I managed to find a good deal 25 quid on a Combo Card ATM 4U; would this P/N do the trick for my purpose?:

Are these ports the same as a line port or FXO port?

Thanks again.

-RR

Your combo ATM card will be perfect, just make sure you don't already have 2 combo cards (BRI combo card for example), IPO can only take 2.

I have not done this on Avaya with a gateway but I am sure it will be fine, it's just another point of failure.

Upgrading to V11 will be a bit of an expense however....

Calum M
ACSS

Thanks all. Yes it would be ideal to get SIP trunk licenses however upgrading to R11 and then licensing that way will be horribly difficult and expensive, since I also don’t have the original Sold To number, and the history of the machine is unknown apart from a paper mill in the midlands with no digital phones so.

That’s perfect I’ll go ahead and go that route then, thanks for your help, I’m looking at ATM 4U cards and ATAs for about 40 quid all together so not too bad it seems.

Also on the side if I may - if I replace one of my Combo BRI cards with a Combo ATM card will it change any of my configs on the Digital Voice ports or the analog ports? Because those are already in use currently.

Thanks again
-RR

For clarification, by Digital voice and analogue ports I mean DS and PHONE ports.

Thanks all.
-RR

It don't believe it will change your config on the extensions, just take backup , power off then swap your card.

Worst case scenario it renumbers your base extensions which is a 2 second fix but I don't think it'll do that.

Calum M
ACSS

Perfect thanks for your help. Hopefully these bits will be here soon.

May be out of scope but: will a BM32 expansion module fit on a 1408 phone? Thanks.

DBM32 will work. Make sure you have a AVAYA DPSN-20HB for it.

Calum M
ACSS

CMUK good point about max 2 combo cards. 700476013 is v1 do OK for R7.

There are some limitations with analogue trunks compared to BRI. I think to do with mobile twinning but I have not had to work with this combination.

There are more features in later releases but up to you if they are needed. The version upgrade used to be about £300 but Avaya charge for all the other licences now so many have gone elsewhere.

SIP trunk licences are about £50 and it is a lot neater if you can run everything on the IP Office.

Do let us know how you get on as feedback is also part of the forum.

Hi both,

Thanks for the replies. I’ve ended up with an IPO 500v2, two 1616-i’s, a BM32, and 5 1408s for around 45 quid so I’m not looking to spend more than 30 more on it.

I have a PoE+ switch and I have a number of 15.4w injectors, will these work or should I look at the DPSN-20HB instead? Thanks all.

No get the DPSN-20HB , its a passive injector designed for this use case, PoE+ won't work.

Calum M
ACSS

Ahh right okay yes this makes sense actually as the 1408 is digital as I forgot. For the 1616 will I need a power injector? Thanks.

No, 1616 will be ok with poe switch

Calum M
ACSS

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back