Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP trunk newbie questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

probichaux

Technical User
Nov 16, 2006
US
Per kwbmitel's suggestion in <a href=" thread</a>, I wanted to ask some basic questions about creating and working with SIP trunks on the 3300.

1. Do you have to explicitly create a SIP trunk object, or is designating a trunk in Trunk Service Assignment enough?

1a. If yes, how do you do it?

2. Once I've created a SIP trunk, where do I set its options? I see how to create SIP peers and modify their options.

3. How do I register a non-Mitel device (like a test softphone such as SJphone or X-Lite) as a SIP device with the 3300 so I can place calls from it?

4. Where's the best source of documentation on Mitel's SIP implementation?

Ignorantly yours,
-Paul

Embedded help system can give you all the information how to configure. BTW do you have SIP trunk or SIP user licenses?

Mitel has placed a TSB on their website for programming SIP trunks for MS Server exchange UM.

Might be a good place to start.

Consistancy... Is only a virtue when you're not a total screwup.

I have the TSB and followed it; that's what got me into all this trouble :)

Turns ou the answers are:

1. you do not have to explicitly create a SIP trunk
2. there are no additional SIP-specific options, unlike e.g. Asterix
3. this remains a mystery

#3: You need to have SIP user licenses
Create a new Multiline IP device, set the set type as 'Generic SIP device', assign a DN, a user, a pin (usually the same as the DN). Set that info in the Xlite client. It does work, I have a few Xlite clients working in my lab.

Perfect, MitelTech! That's exactly what I needed to know, and I now have X-Lite running on a couple of lab boxes. (For fun I might try a pair of my el-cheap-o BudgeTone phones :) Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back