Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Trunk between locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCaptObvious

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2022
US
Hello All,

I have an upgrade underway for a new circuit. We are currently using a ISDN/PRI T1 circuit to connect between two locations in different cities. The company wants to change from our digital phone setup to all VOIP and wanted to upgrade the bandwidth, hence changing from the T1 to SIP - which they keep calling an ethernet circuit. We also have a local LEC T1 which we will be keeping. I am looking for info on how to convert the T1 to a SIP - hopefully keeping all my current settings (ARS, routing, etc). I am just taking over this switch from someone that inadvertently left the company - finally got Avaya to reset passwords to SM, CM, and SMGR. Any help is appreciated.

System info:
Hardware - 2 G450 gateways, 4 DS1 modules, 6 Analog Modules, 6 DCP Modules
CM 7.1
SMGR 7.1
ASA 6.0.07 SP14.03
SM 7.1.3.3.713307

While I hate to assume anything, let's assume you have an ISDN tie trunk. This might be able to be replaced by SIP. There are some things which won't work with a SIP trunk. If these two PBX systems are using Call Center and Best Service Routing (BSR) you won't get it to work over SIP on R7. Same goes for Integrated Directory Service. If this is applicable then you may want to scrap SIP between the two and go with an H.323 trunk. There are some other quirky features which can be an issue but BSR is the big one.

If the above doesn't apply then once you have the network available between the two systems (with QoS of course) you simply program the SIP Signal Group and SIP trunk between the two (I'm also assuming processor ethernet is active and will be used for the signal group). Once the trunk is up you should be able to swap the trunk in the route pattern of each PBX.

Thank you for the input. Thankfully they are not using BSR or Call Center. The 2 PBX are between 2 locations to allow DSN calls and LD calls to the areas. I am questioning if my system allows for such a connection. I'm just getting my head around all this - worked as OSP tech, I can splice fiber and cables all day but i've been moved to ISP and trying to figure all this out. Of course, the first course of action was they wanted to replace the T1 line with an ethernet link (EPL) circuit. Is a SBC needed in order to make this happen? I've read it does but i've also read it's not necessary. Would the ethernet link coming to me just plug into the same DS1 media module that the T1 is currently plugged into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back