Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sip Trunk between Avaya CM 6.3 and Asterisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvayaCiscoAdmin

Technical User
Dec 6, 2012
CA
Hi,
We are using Avaya Aura CM 6.3 and voicemail is Asterisk.
When I dial the mail VM, I get a dialling-error tone.I don't know if the Asterisk VM has ever worked. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong.

The Coverage-Path, aar analysis, hunt-group, signalling group ,trunk, and node-names all look OK to me , but these are some things that don't look right:

1. In System Manager, Location 1 is defined for our main site but there is no Location defined for the Astersik.
2. In System Manager, there is no Entity Link for the SIP trunk between Avaya CM and Asterisk
3. In System Manager there is no Domain defined for the Asterisk VM.
4. In Asterisk, in extensions.conf, the main voicemail phone number does not appear to be configured.

So my questions at this point are:
a) Does the SIP Trunk require it's own location in System Manager?
b) Does the SIP Trunk require an Entity Link in System Manager?
c) In System Manager, does a Domain need to be defined for the Asterisk?
d) Does the main VM phone number get defined in extensions.conf and if so, how?

Thanks for any help with this.

AvayaCiscoAdmin,
Did you ever get any resolution on this? I know you don't need a domain to run a sip trunk between avaya and asterisk.

Also the VM number would get defined in extensions.conf. Something like this:

exten => 1234,1,VoicemailMain(@default)

If you leave it just (@default) then it will prompt for a mailbox. If you want that extension to be a specific mailbox you'd define it as (1234@default)

"default" is the context you are using in voicemail.conf to setup the voicemail mailbox. If the context you're using in voicemail.conf is different then replace default with whatever you're using. If this is still an issue and you need help let me know.
-Drew

Thanks, ddickenson, No resolution yet.

I was wondering where and how to add the voicemail DN.

So if the DN is 44444 .... then this: exten => 1234,1,VoicemailMain(@44444) ???

Does it require the @ symbol in front of the 44444 ?

The bit in front of the @ symbol is just if you want it to "prepend" the mailbox you're trying to access. If you're trying to do something like a generic "everyone's" access where they are prompted to input their mailbox then it'd be something like this:

exten => 44444,1,VoicemailMain(@default)

If you're trying to pass the caller ID of the set as their extension (I've never tried this coming from another linked pbx but it should be possible so long as you match the mailbox definitions to whatever your callerid passes for each station) then it'd look more like this:

exten => 44444,1,VoicemailMain(${CALLERID(num)}@default)

The last one will take the value stored inside the CALLERID(num) variable (There is also a CALLERID(name) but you won't need that here) and use it as the mailbox argument before the @default context.

Hope this helps
-Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back