Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Trunk Audio Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcd123

Programmer
Apr 8, 2010
US
Is there anything in the Avaya IP Office that would cause no audio on a SIP call? SIP trunk is up and registered and we can see incoming calls but there is no voice when a call is answered.

IP Office 10.0.0.5

what's between your IP and internetville? a firewall? have the ports properly opened? have your network topo setup?

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

Yes, customer provided Cisco Firewall. Have been working with their Data Network guy who knows their network inside and out. He has been watching traces, etc. We are setup identical to all the other SIP trunk customers we have. I just didn't know if there were any settings within IPO that would cause No Audio.

Firewall issue or no VCM channels

It ALWAYS is the firewall :)

Do your own traces with Monitor and only SIP enabled then you see if you send and receive RTP traffic

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Thanks. I was assuming network as well but wanted to be sure. VCM channels are in place. Just wanted to confirm that once the SIP trunk was registered to SIP server the IP Office doesn't have anything to do with Audio.

It does have something to do with the audio, it sends and receives it :)

Normally if the firewall blocks the audio you still get outgoing audio but incoming is a no go.

If you get nothing at all it may be that the ports don't match with the provider although the IPO usually adjusts to whatever the provider demands.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

2 possibilities

1) it is the network
2) it is the network

<kryten> I know that opt 2 i the same as opt 1 but it is such a biggie i though it was worth mentioning twice).<kryten>

on thing it could be is routing issue , if the Handsets do not have a direct route to the Sip Server then this could be your problem, it can be proved by disabling Direct media path on the handsets

NOTE this is smiply way to prove the issue is a routing issue, you still need to correct the fundamental problem or you will have issues with call capacity as you overload the IPO by forcing it to unnecessarily route the extra data

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Thanks for the replies. We found out we did have two way audio on a live SIP call. Initial testing was done remotely after hours done so the no voice was just when the Voicemail Pro VM Box answered. We found today VM also didn’t work when dialed from an IP Phone internally. Handset to handset calls worked fine. We would see VM pick up but no audio. Put a digital phone on a combo card and the VM was working fine when dialing to an IP phone from the digital phone.

Any ideas on no audio when calls go to VM whether from outside calls coming in or extension to extension calls?

Rather than asking "Any ideas" and drip feeding little bits of information, howabout you providing a lot more detail and then it will be a little less like us having to guess.

What type of IP Office? (you've said thing that imply its an IP500 V2 with some kind of combo card but saying clearly helps a lot).

What type of voicemail?

What types of phones?

Anything else you'd like to add (licensed VM channels, etc).

Personally I would run System Status and see if there have been any resource alarms. Then make a call to voicemail and see what appears in the call trace (you have access to the system, we don't).

I'd also look at codec settings and VCM channels. Voicemail (whether embedded or Voicemail Pro) is on the non-VoIP side of IP Office operation so needs VCM channels to support VoIP phones.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

We are running an IPO500 v2 with 10.0.5 and VM Pro with 10.0.5. All 9608 IP Phones. We have a VCM64v2 and Combo Card for Ip phones.
We see VM up and working. All users are registered, etc. We see the VM channel go in service when a call hits VM. We see system status showing the connected call to VM and the correct VM box. There is just no audio being played. IP Handset to Handset calls are fine. Calling in from the outside over a SIP trunk also has no audio on VM, just audio is present on an active call.
We plugged in a digital phone and the Voicemail is working perfect.

Bet the voicemail server is in a different subnet to the Phones...

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

We just switched to Embedded Vm to test and same issue. We see VM come on in system status but no audio. Digital phone works.

I have tried every means possible to troubleshoot. I have their config working on a test unit in my office with a default 10 port switch and 3 IP phones work on embedded. All works great. We have proved out it being a phone system issue by testing with a digital phone.

Then stop letting them push back, you need to make it clear it's their issue and leave it. Do not "just take another look" or "make triple sure". If you do that it is seen as an admission of guilt or uncertainty, or a suggestion you are going to resolve it when you can't. Doesn't help anyone in the end and just drags things out :)

Didn't see it was now a VM issue, that's pretty easy to narrow down though.... :)

The last issue with no audio on Voicemail turned out being a bad Combo Card. Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back