Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP provider reporting connection half duplex 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcc1000

Vendor
Aug 26, 2013
US
Hello all,
Have a 11.0 Essential mode system just switched providers to SIP phone lines, from PRI circuit.
This appears to be a fairly newer provider & sometimes I wonder if they know what they are talking about.
SIP has been up & working for sometime, but has an occasional outages.
SIP provider can determine it was from them every time except one time.
They are reporting the connection is 10M/half duplex & say "it would be better at 100/full or 1000/full - even 10M/full would be better"
The connection is going straight from their ONT box 15' straight thru patch cord to the IPO's WAN port, no switches or anything else in-between.
Read on older posts can DTE in the back of control unit & view/change the full/half duplex settings.
I've never done that before & also read control unit comes by default in full duplex.
Has anyone run across this before or more recently & if can still do the DTE commands?
Thanks in advance

The IP Office LAN interfaces are all set to auto and negotiate to 100/Full if the opposite side supports it and is also set to auto negotiate.

if there is an issue with a lower speed then it is because they hardcoded something (even if it is 1000/Full because then it could not work with the 100/Full max speed of the IPO) into it rather than leaving it on auto which is the most reliable way for them to negotiate what they can both do.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Thanks Westi for fast reply & answer.
I relayed word for word your reply to the provider & see what they say.
Have a good weekend

It wouldn't hurt to test the patch cord. I have seen situations that either the green or orange pair was damaged and the data still worked just as a half duplex. Just a thought.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Thanks budbyrd,
The provider did mention that, I know I used a brand new 15' Cat 6 patch cord, but anything is possible.
I will see if my contact on-site has one to swish out (one hour/one way for me to try)
Will let you know if works

Westi,
You were 100% correct, after provider read what you gave me, he said you are correct & was going to check his side.
After his changes, says it's now 100/full.
Thanks again

I am glad and always love to hear that I am right.
Happens a lot less than it used to :)

Have a great day rcc1000.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back