Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Phones and dialing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvayaRedDude

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2014
US
I've been working with Mitel and Cisco SIP phones where it requires the user to dial the number then hit a softkey, whatever way, handset, headset or speaker. To me it's a PITA and if the network goes down on the backend, the set can still generate a "dial tone" in the virtual sense. Is this something with the protocol, or is dependent on the phone maker? Are there SIP phones that can work more like a typical office phone, and if so which ones should I look at?

Usually there is a setting which is the "default" setting, so agents using headsets default there, others speaker, until handset is lifted etc.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Most SIP Phones have a setting called "Dial plan" which can be adjusted to your needs.
Like the Grandstream and SNOM phones were you can use a dial plan like this:
{[*]xx |[1-9]xx | [0]xxxxxxxx | [04]xxxxxxxx | [00]x+ }
Each to dial number is separated with a |
[*]xx -> any dialled number starting with a * and three digits long will be dialled imediate after the third digit
[1-9]xx -> any dialled number starting with a digit starting with 1 to 9 and three digits long will be dialled imediate after the third digit ( internal extensions )
[0]xxxxxxxx -> any number starting with a 0 and a length of nine digits will be dialled imediate after the ninth digit
[04]xxxxxxxx -> any number starting with 04 and a length of ten digits will be dialled imediate after the tenth digit
[00]x+ -> any number starting with 00 and with a variable length will be dialled after the dial time-out ( configurable parameter ) or after a # ( configurable on/off feature)

This is what I use on SNOM and Grandstream SIP phone for Belgium connected to a Avaya IP Office, feature codes always start with *, internal number plan is three digits long, national fixed numbers always start with a 0 and are nine digits long, Mobile numbers start with 04 and are always ten digits long, the 00 is for internationa dialling.

Have to agree with the above, Aastra phones and Audiocodes gateways also use dial plans similar to above. Sometimes if you can grab a config of a phone, you can see this. I'd say use Notepad++ instead of notepad to look at them as it formats a lot better.
I believe any SIP phone that is correctly configured and registered will generate dial tone, as all the digit collection is done on block on the phone before attempting to connect to a PBX.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

It seems to be a reoccurring problem here where I ask questions and not get answers because no one wants to read the initial thread.

My direct questions:

Does any SIP based solutions can work, pick up the handset dial a number, instead of initiating calls using the softkey? I've dealt with Mitel and Cisco 79xx sets where it won't dial a number unless someone hits one of the screen keys.

Also how can I ensure a SIP phone won't generate a dial tone if it's not actively connected to the network, say a router goes down the softswitch crashes, etc? This could give the user a false sense of security if it can give someone a dialtone and not place calls.

It seems to be a reoccurring problem here where you are rude to those who try to assist you,[highlight #FCE94F] 3 times to be exact.[/highlight]

Look at your second post, much more direct and to the point then your first post thus less confusing to former friends of Timothy Leary where I can now finally attempt to answer as best I can even though I now fear you for answering wrong or asking you to be more clear next time.

My answer funny enough is for the very phones you speak of:

Mitel 5320/5330/5340 IP SIP Phones - [highlight #FCE94F]Lift the handset[/highlight] (optional).
Cisco IP SIP 7960 - [highlight #FCE94F]Lift the handset[/highlight] from the earpiece rest and enter the number using the dial pad to enter the digits.
And my Polycom Soundpoint 670i - [highlight #FCE94F]Lift handset and dial number[/highlight]

Is that what you mean by "work more like a typical office phone"?
Most business phones you have to dial a code like 9 or press a line anyway so what is normal in your mind?

I don't think there is anything you can do about the dial tone but check the manuals to verify.
If you get a fast busy or no dial tone then something is up but more likely your set will tell you it has lost registration anyway.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

@AvayaRedDude
A SIP phone usually only dials a entered number after either pressing a softkey or a pound (#)
With the above mentioned dial plans you can create dial plans for starting to dial a number as soon as it matches a dial plan entry like [9]xxxxxxxxxx, when the dialled number starts with a 9 and has a total length of 11 digits the phone will dial the number if the 11th digit is received.
That much on dialling.
If a softswitch ( bleh! ) crashes the phone loose its registration and will generate a error message on the screen and a busy tone instead of a dial tone.

There seems to be a reoccurring problem here that people read the actual reply but have not enough knowledge/experience to understand how things work, maybe that is a part to use google for.

Thank you all for helping me out.

Let's see what I can do.

Simple rules to communicate
I come with a Telephony background. IP networking can be complicated. Please be nice to me, don't reply with interrogations as I go defensive. Read the original question first. Do not make me look like an idiot. Trust that I'm trying to do the right thing. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back