Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Lines on ATA Gateway 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlycord

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I have a client that has 6 POT's lines and might go with a a SIP line for LD purposes only
I am curious to how SIP works with analog gateways as I have only done them on the BCM phone system which has built in SIP programming/gateway.

I understand that you can have (in the case with Voip.MS in this case) multiple channels depending on the plan i.e 2 channels or 25

My question is, on the analog gateways is it programmable so that I cam have a main number (2 channels) and both analog ports are using the one DID? (Port 1 = 1 channel and Port 2 = 2nd channel)
Or is it one DID per analog port only, and that channels are only beneficial to a PBX with built in SIP programming/gateway (Voip Trunks)?

Thanks

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Basically it's all configurable but depends on ATA's model. As for DID it depends on your plan with SP. You could have one DID with 6 simultameous calls or 6 DIDs with only one call for each DID at the time.
E.g., AudioCodes MP-1xx are like a small PBX - you could configure a lot with them, advanced routing, call from one FXS to another without SIP-server? trunk groups etc. But you pay $$$ for that functionality.
Cheaper ATAs could miss some features - so better check documentation or take some for testing.

Thanks sto933

I get how the channels and DID's work as I described that above.

I just want to know if I can program the device so that the 2nd channel rings to the second ATA port when the 1st channel/port is in use.
This is for use with a current digital PBX

Perhaps somebody has installed these little basic gateways before.

Thanks

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Can't speak for all the boxes out there, but many allow analog ports to be programmed as a hunt group assigned to a single number so that incoming calls to that number will roll to a non-busy port in the group. Multi-port gateways can have multiple hunt groups.

You can assign multiple pots for landing for single sip trunk,hunt groups are available in multi port ATA.for two ports ATA hunt group is not available.If you have multiple sip accounts from telco then you can map one to one.

You should be able to download a manual to see if does what you want, for example Grandstream 818

This only seems to support 2 SIP profiles (account) but I assume you will have a single account with 6 channels.

curlycord said:
This is for use with a current digital PBX
what current PBX?

Using an ATA to provide analog trunks into a PBX is not something I would recomend
Surely the PBX has better options available to it, if it is truly current then I would expect it to support Sip Natively!
if not then it is probably due for an upgrade as maintaining it is likely to be problematical.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

To all, this post has been answered already, but thanks.

I know I can download manuals, but in my case there is no purchased gateway yet....consider it was a pre-sales question that I assumed would be quickly answered which it was, thank you!

IPGuru said:
"Using an ATA to provide analog trunks into a PBX is not something I would recommend
Surely the PBX has better options available to it, if it is truly current then I would expect it to support Sip Natively!
if not then it is probably due for an upgrade as maintaining it is likely to be problematical."

[banghead]

I guess your obviously not aware of older digital systems still out there running such as Panasonic, Toshiba, Norstar and much more.
What an amazing assumption to think that any PBX has SIP options.
Do you also think all new systems are all problem free?
There are plenty of Norstar system out there that are still running since 1988 with NO issues.

While I have installed many gateways for other vendors, mainly Mediatrix...I never programmed them nor had to return to repair or replace them.
I have no idea why somebody would not recommend them.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

curlycord said:
While I have installed many gateways for other vendors, mainly Mediatrix...I never programmed them nor had to return to repair or replace them.
I have no idea why somebody would not recommend them.

I can definitely second this. Recently has to install a Mediatrix Sentinel M100 SBC on a Bell MPLS, first time. The staff over there were awesome, followed up with us post-install, etc. They walked us through the programming, even remotely doing it themselves and explaining what they were doing, and going through multiple test processes with me over the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back