Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sip Jitter Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoneuser72

Technical User
Jan 15, 2006
I have an IP500 at 5.0.15. I have put the Sip trunk on LAN2. We are still getting a large amount of jitter. I got Pae Tec involved and they said because it is transmit jitter it must be the IP Office. I don't what the difference is. I their is a QOS problem. I just need to know were the transmit jitter is measured. To have a better understanding to go back to Pae Tec with.

Thanks Chris

I am curious about this also. The IPO doesn't provide QOS, it just tags the packets for QOS. I am seeing the same problem with Nuvox. I have them looking at it now. Have you had any complaints from the customer? I have two with SIP with Nuvox and neither has complained. I wonder how accurate the SSA is on the QOS.

How is it possible to provide QoS across the internet?

What you need is for your ISP to offer some prioritisation across their network for voice packets.

Packets also need to take the shortest route possible. Some ISPs will push their business users over a priority pipe with no load balancing.

So, in essence QoS means nothing once it leaves your router.

This problem started because they are hearing DTMF tones on their line. When someone is in voicemail the voicemail will be interupted by tones. Avaya added traces to the pc t hat will look at the whole call. I am banging my head against the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back