Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP iPhone apps that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never tried, I just know that this question get's asked farly often and Fring seemed to be mentioned so I keep repeating it :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

fring also has a bunch of other stuff going on in it which i found a bit irritating. but i've tried every possible combination of settings and it just will not register with the ipo.

ACSS-SME
fo shizzle ma nizzle.

I have had both WeePhone and Acrobits SIP Softphone workingon my iphone as both a SIP extension and as a SIP phone connected directly to a SIP provider.

I have a small guide I wrote for using the Acrobits one in the latter setup which we give to customers if they ever ask us for this.

Hi Pepp77
I have installed the Bria as well as the Acrobits SIP Softphone on my iPhone and connected back to our Avaya IP500.
Both softphones work fine over ANY WIFI connection I connect to with my iPhone however I can't get any speech pats to work over 3G.
I can get the Fring to work perfectly over WIFI & 3G however it is pretty limited in functionality.
Do you have the softphones working over 3G or just WIFI?
Any thoughts?

I had it working on both Wifi for an internal SIP extension and over Wifi and SIP for an actual SIP trunk line.

The 3G was pretty ropey though as I got rubbish pings and speeds.

When the Acrobits was first released it did not work on 3G but they released an update that enabled it.

| ACSS SME |

just to add to this, i've been messing around with an app called media5 phone. it's free to download and use but some features are restricted such as transfer and conference or having multiple accounts.

you can upgrade the whole app for £3.99, but i just bought the "telephony pack" as an in app purchase for £1.79 which enables call waiting, call toggling, transferring and conferencing.

The only reason i could see to upgrade to the full app was if the ad banner is annoying you (i didn't even notice that there was one until i saw it as an unlock feature) or you wanted to register multiple accounts.

It's early days but i'm pretty happy with it so far.

ACSS-SME
fo shizzle ma nizzle.

I've been experimenting in this area for a while and came to the conclusion Acrobits Groundwire was the best - it has all the features like transfer, call waiting and can even record calls. Really nice bit of software. It works a treat for me on decent wifi signals, I establish an IPSEC VPN back to our office and connect to the IP500 from that. However it falls down a bit on lower bandwidth connections where I'm loosing the voice a bit. There's a really nice call quality indicator on the screen with bars of call quality - if the bandwidth drops this will go down.
It seems to be defaulting to G.729 codec despite me trying to change this around. Does anyone know what codec seems to work best with both ends for lower bandwidth applications?
Thanks in advance

Hi all, i have just completed my ipo implementation workshop traning a couple of months ago so im still pretty green with this stuff. i want to connect my iphone to my firms ip500 its running 6.0(8) software and is working a treat. i can connect with a the avaya pc softphone when on the local lan or via vpn when out, but cant get media 5 or 3cx on iphone to connect when local or via vpn is there a licence or feature i need to turn on in the ipo? Or some other error i have overlooked? Thanks Everyone this forum has already helped me a couple of times with other tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back