Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP ext to SIP trunk RTP usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeleLion

Technical User
Jan 4, 2006
US
If an MX-One TSE SIP extension initiates an outgoing call through a SIP trunk will that use any of the RTP resources? is direct media enabled in this mode?

TELEC3

It will be direct media so not RTP is used unless you du a 3 party service.

As there is no gateway is in picture so it will not use any RTP resources. So here we dont require any IP to TDM conversion.

3PTY = conferance, hold - transfer, operator stuff like that

OK seems like there are two RTP resources used just for setting up the call, a quick test with two MX-One TSE nodes connected together through SIP routes, the SIP phones always receiving the call consumes two IP resources, the SIP extension initiating the call does not consume any resources from it's node !!!!

TELEC3

I have the same experience. No RTP resources are used in the originating exchange, 2 resources are used in the terminating exchange. I have made trace on signalling and it looks like the calling phone got only IP address of IPLU in term.exch. and never got IP from answering phone.
Maybe I did something wrong, but H.323 works OK.

What do you mean H323 works ok? is there any RTP resources consumed in H323?

TELEC3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back