Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIP Codec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sympology

MIS
Jan 6, 2004
GB
Posted this to our suppliers and they are not 100% certain on the answer.
I'm trying to find out what codecs would be used in each scenario as we're doing some tests and getting some unexpected results:
The 2 servers are connected via a WAN link. The phones call each other by using a dialling service on the the server, not by calling each other directly

IPPhone 1
G729
g711a

Server1
g711a
g729

Server2
g711a
g729

IPphone2
g729
g711a

1. An ISDN call call comes into Server1, goes to Server2 and is answered by Server2 sent to voicemail on server.

2. An ISDN call call comes into Server1, goes to Server2 and is answered by IP Phone2
3. IPPhone1 calls Phone2 (via server), but is answered by Server2 Voicemail

4. IPPhone1 calls Phone2 (via server) and is answered by Phone2

Thanks,
Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I believe these are the codecs which will be used for the scenarios you mentioned. At least that is the way I know it to work on my SIP PBX using SIP phones but I am not certain.

1. G711a
2. G729
3. G729
4. G729

John C.

Hello,

Why don´t you use a traffic analiser (Ethereal/WireShark) to see this? Aplly a SIP and UDP filter.

Best regards,

Feliz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back