Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single USB device visible to 2 PC,s at once? Y-adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

noridetoolow

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
US
Ok...so here is my question....CAN I use a USB Y-splitter \ adapter to ONE USB device to make that device visible to 2 computers at once? Possibly a single USB hard drive? I dont know if it would require a special cable that HID the fact that both PCs were looking at the same device at the same time while making it transparent to both PCs.....I hope I make sense. At its root...simple question:

1 USB device - Y-adapter to 2 computers... device is visible to each at the same time as if connected directly.

Thanks all

I have to admit that in all my years of playing with USB I haven't seen a Y splitter out there. If you're wanting to share a USB hard drive use network sharing (assuming you're on a network), if you're wanting to share a security dongle then you're out of luck.

I would have to say not possible unless someone tells me otherwise.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Agree w/ Simon...use network sharing. Don't try and improvise a Y-dongle, there's 5VDC in there!

Tony

Users helping Users...

i am trying to share a secuirty device between 2 computers so that I ALWAYS have it in place. My thinking is that the cable design would mimic only one cable but allow for both...perhaps I was hoping for too much, lol.

thanks for your replies

USB is SERIAL... meaning that only on device per cable...

BUT --- there are devices called USB Switch or USB Sharing Stations, which allow a single USB device to be shared (by the flick of a switch) between computers...

example: Tripp Lite U215-004-R USB Peripheral Sharing Switch - 4 port

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

No, you're trying to bypass the idea of the security dongle, that's why I said you're out of luck... and one of the reasons there are USB security dongles. Unfortunately if you want to use the software that requires the dongle, you're going to have to purchase an additional license\dongle for it.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back