Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single sign on

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE25TP

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2002
GB
I have some users who do not get prompted for a password at start up and some that do, and can't spot the differences in the account set up. At one time, ticking the 'Use Novell single sign on box in Tools>Options>Security use to fix it but it doesn't always do it.

Can anyone please explain just what is needed for Groupwise to always use the Netware password, and not prompt the user.

There are a few things that would have an impact on whether a user is requred to enter a passord or not. These range from using the "/@u-?" or "/@u-userID" switch on the client to the security level of the PO(s) to what you are using for authentication (eDir or LDAP). So just a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. What is the Security Level on your PO(s)
2. What are the Global Client Security Options settings

FarOut
V-Peace-V

My Post Office Security level is set to High, and has the eDirectory Authentication box ticked.
Not sure where I find the Global Client Security options settings?? There is nothing filled in on the 'Client Access Settings' under the Properties of the Post Office.

we do not use any swithes on the command line when launching the client.

regards

My Post Office Security level is set to High, and has the eDirectory Authentication box ticked.
Not sure where I find the Global Client Security options settings?? There is nothing filled in on the 'Client Access Settings' under the Properties of the Post Office.

we do not use any swithes on the command line when launching the client.

regards

My apologies LE25TP, sometimes I make things harder than they need to be. The "Global Client Security Options settings" I was referring to is the settings in C1 under GroupWise Utilities\Client Options\Security\Password.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

OK Thanks

My security Options settings have

Allow Password Caching
Allow eDirectory authentication instead of password
Enable Novell Single Sign-on

all ticked.

regards

Dave

All your switches seem to be set correctly. The answer has to be right in front of us. But I can not see it. I'm the type that needs to be right in front of a problem. I could start making all kinds of suggestions to try. But that is not the way to do it via Posts on the forum. I'll try to duplicate your problem in our lab today. Might just run across something. Or someone else might have the answer when this goes back to the top of the posts.
Later!

FarOut
V-Peace-V

OK Thanks, it would be good to get to the bottom of it once and for all.

Dave

dunno if this helps...

we allow our users a differennt mailbox password to their login password if they want..

those that have the same password only have it to use it once,

That's what I want to do, just sign in to Netware and Groupwise to use the same password, but it isn't working for most users.

Hi All,

I actually have this exact same problem! I think it has to do with the version of the NW client. I have noticed on some PCs that initially it won't be asking for both passwords and then after I upgrade or change the client version, it starts asking them for the GW password.

I think this is a NW bug, as it relates to their client.

The fix that is supposed to work is what has been described above. Maybe we should send Novell this question?

Hi,

First, unless you are specifically using Novell Single Sign-on, there is no need to have that setting checked. Single Sign-On has nothing to do with GroupWise suing the eDirectory credentials to bypass its own password.

Second, check the PCs that have the problem and look for NMAS (Novell Modular Authentication Service) in the Insatlled Programs listing. If it is there, remove it. NMAS can (and does) cause this sort of issue.

gwexpertslogo.jpg

Gioffre Consulting
Check out our Novell Training Cruises

Hi

I will try removing the NMAS, but the problem seems to lie with the user account since I can go to any PC and don't get asked for a password on Groupwise, similarly some people using my PC will get prompted for a password.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back