Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Quotes on my SQL statement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yerdon

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
Hi everyone,

I have a form which submits several fields to another page. This 2nd page then inputs the values into a SQL table.

The problem I've run into is that if I use some characters, like a single quote in one of the fields, the SQL will break.

I understand why that happens, but how can I get around it? Is there a function that "cleans" a string so that it can be used? Or do I have to use some sort of replace functions?

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thank you!

Joseph

Wow - you haven't had much luck in these forums, have you? You seem to have posted 32 questions, and only marked 1 answer as helpful. I suggest you read faq222-2244. If you aren't getting good answers the FAQ will guide you on how to ask better questions. If you are getting good answers it will show you how to acknowledge them, and what else is expected from you in terms of answers to other people's questions.

For this question:

1. Do a search on 'SQL injection'
2. Try the Replace function
Code:
mystring=replace(mystring,"'","''")

Steam Engine Prints

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about that. I'll flag those in the future. I've gotten good responses in the past...

Thanks for that!

There is an interesting article here which helps to explain the reasons why people answer questions on forums, and the way they think.

Steam Engine Prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back