Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Point Provisioning MAS and MCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossBC

Technical User
Jun 13, 2009
CA
when this first came out, I tried it and then disabled it. Not really knowing what it was going to change on the 3300 every time something was done in the MAS caused more problems than it was worth. Having the desire to delete and recreate a user in the MAS when an employee was replaced (so the user id/login matched the new person) would cause the phone to be deleted and recreated (along with call rerouting/keys/etc).

Now that we have user/key templates in the MCD, and UCA (so we don't have to worry about Call rerouting so much), it looks like it could be used more as a single location to manage both MCD and MAS.

I have gone with a login of x#### (x followed by the extension number)and that seems to work. for /portal the user can use the x#### or their email address. for /ucweb or uca client they can only use x####. A new user comes along and the login is still relevant.

so was wondering what other techs have found with single point provisioning. Do you use it? Any gotcha's? my next install is a vMAS, so won't have the opportunity to set it up in our office and play with it for a few hours before going to site like I usually do.

I wonder if the audit logs in the MCD give a trail of what the MAS does as far as moving phones from one COS to another when you add a feature/ etc

any feedback would be appreciated.

Ultimately I think that it is Mitel's plan to use a MAS as the programming interface for Mitel. From what I have heard the next couple of loads of MAS will really start to become useful as a programming tool i.e they are going to add a hook into standalone Nupoints so you can program them even when not part of MAS ( currently on a MAS based Nupoint can be part of single point provisioning ). What I have found is that SPP is most useful on a fresh install. Therefore it has to be the first system brought up and running. We often have done the 3300's first and that makes SPP less useful i.e SPP can program MAS/Nupoint hunt groups, teleworker extensions in the 3300 but we often already had them imported in the MCD.

I guess my gothas are bring it up first and use it to program the 3300's. Beleive once you create templates in MAS then you can take your normal import spreadsheets and import then to MAS rather then the MCD. This helps with SPP.

One other point is if you are doing a vMAS maybe you should get your self a small VMWare lab and then you can play off site. We setup one so we can install the vAPPs in our lab and configure then if need be off site.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

thanks for the feedback. I will probably try the SPP again on the next install. Also appreciate the feedback for having a virtual environment in the office to preconfigure and pretest. Will try to get that approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back