Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single mode fiberoptic to multimode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suthern

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
US
Here's the situation. We are going to buy some HP Procurves 2524 (Switches that have 24 10/100 Base10, and and two optional slots, either a Gigabit SX, or gigabit LX). The Gigabit SX module costs around $330. The Gigabit LX module costs around $720.

Gigabit SX module = single mode module.
Gigabit LX module = multi mode module.

There dosn't seem to be a huge differnce in the prices between the actual cabling. However, the capping / termination of the cables are MUCH differnt. Single mode requires much more equiptment then multimode.

Our main electrical installer is learning how to do the thicker cable, MULTIMODE.

Is it possible to use multimode cable on a singlemode module? :(

ANy other ideas? comments? flames?
-Suthern

In short, no. You cannot use multi-mode cable with single mode equipment. The core of MM is 50 to 62.5 microns where as the core on SM is 9 microns. If you attempt to transmit single-mode through the larger (MM) cable, you will have to much refraction.

There are single mode to multimode media converters, which you could use but that just means one more piece of equipment in the puzzle that doesnt need to be there. There are single mode termination process that aren't too bad equipment wise, it just depends on the vendor of the hardware. 3M, seicor, amp and others make different types of kits for termination.

Not knowing the distance between the points, I'm assuming you can use either one. Keep in mind that gigabit fiber isnt like the older slower stuff, it is more picky with length and quality of the glass.

Oh I hate it when I can't put my hands on the reference material quick enough, but I'm thinking gigabit ethernet is limited to 330' on multimode (per the standards). I may be wrong, going to have to look that up to find out. Anyway, if you have much distance at all to consider, I think I'd opt for the single mode solution and be better built for the future and distance.

Good Luck!
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

The max distance I need to go is about 3000' between stations. Has anybody else tried to set up a network for a RV campground?

-Suthern

at our school district we closed a school that was supplying another school with a fiber link. To make up for the loss of an active connection we are now running single mode transcievers through about 6000 feet of multimode fiber with a coupling in the middle. Works OK for what we have so far but we have no need to push it and have not tested it to see what it can do.

ahh, the pieces fall in place! The gigabit SX module is really for the Multimode, and the LX module is for Single mode. Therefore, the multimode module is cheaper... Well, thanks for the help anyway :)

-Suthern

(This topic can be closed now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back