Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Line Sets? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2005
US
Can I install a Standard Single Line set on the Norstar system or must I use one of the NT SLS?

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

"You're Never Alone When You're Near A Phone!"

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

Do you mean analogue (slt) telephones?

If you do you need to get your hands on an ATA module.
If you have a compact plus system then it has one ata built in.

This is for an older system ICS unit installed in 1996. I do need to install a VIKING door phone on this system. Is there a door phone interface allowing the station set user to answer a call from the door and then buzz them in by pressing one of their touch tone buttons?

If so how do you recomend I set this up?

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

Not had much to do with door phones. It might be worth putting a new post on the group to ask about installing the door phone and door opener on this system.

I'm sure someone out there will have the answer your looking for.

However if it is a unit that runs on an analogue port you should be able to install it using an ata adaptor.

Once installed just access the unit and program it to ring an extension or group. Then program it to operate the door opener when it receives certain dtmf tones (i.e. button press 5)

nortel makes a door call box that will work on a digital port

Does this door phone come with the lock that attaches to the door frame so the station user can "buzz" the person in by releasing a lock on the door remotly?

Or does this need to be provided by a lock smith?

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

no lock is provided...that will always come from a locksmith

I have never installed one of these before. How then does the door lock know when to open. Is it tied into the door phone and listening to for a tone signal?

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

You can have the door phone ring on any set or all of them and whoever answers it can talk with the person at the door and if they want to let them in they press a code and the door latch is activated. If they dont want to let them in just hang up.

A lot if door controllers actually connect to the system through a trunk module. Make sure you check this out before connecting.

Do I have to be an authorized Norstar vendor to puchase it from Norstar or is there a company website you can suggest I go to to purchase it from?

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

Silver987 is right the door phone and opener works great together,i have some installed in a jail works great,But you are limited to 5 on a system....Dont know about vikings ithought they were a football team????

I will go with your suggestions for the NOrstar door phone box and opener. If I understand right, I will need a lock smith to install the opener in the door frame and door?

I have never installed one of these before. Any suggestions on pricing you can give me so I can give to my customer. He want two to three of them.

Dave,
The Phone Doctor
Las Vegas, NV USA

...Lily Tomlin
a/k/a "Ernestine

Unless you can do it yourself, I tried once and if turned into a nightmare! Ended up getting a pro to do it.
The door phone runs around $175.00 and the controler about $125.00 I think those are near price but don't quote me.....Prices vary
All installation instructions are with the units. You will also need an electronic latch of some sort. The DOC just ties a dry contact to the Norstar system.
Good luck.

I have installed a few of these. It takes a digital port for the door phone, and the page relay in CICS. The relay pair goes to the door striker provided by the locksmith. The door phone can be set up to dial an ext., converse back and forth, dial the digit 6 from the phone to activate the relay which signals the striker to open the door!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back