Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single line cordless phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonythetech

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2002
US
Has anyone used a store bought single line cordless phone on a Partner? Can't afford to buy the transtalk unit.

yes it will work just fine you just need to educate the user

In some cases we put a cordless in tandem with a system phone so when the user leaves his desk he can take it with him

just be sure to set it to defualt to intercom dt

I want to hook it to a system phone as you pointed out. If I give the cordless phone intercom dial tone first, how would it get an outside line? We have 3 trunks that are appearing on each system phone that are not in a pool.

Thanks for the help,
Tony

Program Auto Line Select for the extension to go Intercom-Line 1-Line 2-Line 3.

The cordless user will turn it on and dial 9 to get an outside line. The system user will either hit a line before lifting the handset, or can lift the handset and dial 9 or hit a line.

Hi tonythetech,
TouchToneTommy has it right, except I would pick high and go low with the lines (Int, CO3, CO2, CO1). That will reduce the chance of the user colliding with an inbound call.
With intercom access first, your user can access some system features by pushing the flash key and using the pound(#) key as the feature key.
-Chris

I hooked up the phone in tandem with a system phone. The cordless can call other extensions and place outside calls. However when you can the cordless (ie. ext.20) from another extension neither the system or cordless phone ring. I read in the manual that the phones REN (Ring Equivalence Number) cannot exceed 2.0. I checked the cordless and it has a REN of .8. I tried just hooking the cordless phone up to the phone system and still can't get it to ring when called from another extension. The phone system is a Partner II R-3.0. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Tony

have you verified that the cordless phone itself will ring on a standard phone line ?

just hook it directly up to co dialtone and try calling it

it sounds like the cordless phone is shorting out the ring voltage

Ok I haven't tried that. This site is 3 hours away and I don't have anyone technical there at all. I will have to see if I can talk someone through testing on a co line or even take it home and test it. I take it back the system phone does ring but not the cordless.

Thanks,
Tony

Tony

just ask them to unplug the fax ,plug in the cordless and then dial the fax number to see if the cordless rings

could the ringer be turned off on the cordless ? look for a ringer on/off switch

three hours away does make it rough

The phone worked fine on the fax line. I told them to return the phone and buy a different brand.

There wouldn't be an issue with the system only being a Partner II and not a newer Partner ACS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back