Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Line Adapter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdick

Technical User
Jan 6, 2004
US
I have a starplus 616 flex system. I'm planning to install it in my house. I have 2 lines. I'd like to be able to keep my 2 line portable phones. If I buy the SLA will that do the trick? Or is it only good for single line phones?

Thanks,
Dick

The SLA is for single line sets, so it will basically let you use them as a 1 line set.
Soory.

Is there any way to use my 2 line portable phones with the switch?

If not can I put them ahead of the switch?

You can use them but they will act like a 1 line cordless and not a 2 line, I would set them up ahead of the switch if you want to use both lines.

Telprog,
Thanks for the help. If I set up the 2 line cordless phones ahead of the switch do I need to worry about someone plugging in a digital switch to a jack that is ahead of the switch?

If yes ... any way to prevent it?

Do the phones that go to the power failure jack have one trunk? Do they only activate if the power fails?

Thanks again,
dick

No, you'll be ok.

I don't remember if the power failure jack gives you line 1 or line 1 and 2, it's been to long .

Do you know if a set hooked to the power failure port is live when the system is up?

Couldn't find anything in the manual about which co's it picks up on power failure.

Lousy manual compared to Mitel and Panasonic ones I have had at the office.

Yes, you can use your 2 line cordless with the Single Line Adaptor. The Single line adaptor for the Vodavi Starplus Flex gives you 2 analog exts. What I would suggest (since you only have 2 lines) is to connect the 1st analog ext into line 1 of your cordless and the 2nd analog ext into line 2 of your cordless. Then program the 1st analog extension to ring on line 1 only and the 2nd analog extension to ring on line 2 only, that way you will know exactly which line is ringing in on your cordless phones. Remember to install the the 1st port of the single line adaptor (KSU side) to a even number and the 2nd port (KSU side) to the next available odd extension number.

ie; ext 10 & 11 or 12 & 13 or 14 & 15 etc.

You could just use 1 of the ports on the SLA and connect to line 1 on your cordless and program that port to ring on lines 1 & 2 but you would not know which line is ringing and you could not get 2 calls at one time either.

Their is also a jumper inside the SLA that needs to be set to 308, 616 or 1224. It will be 616 for you.

Note: Just in case you do not know, you will not get caller ID on your cordless phones when connected to the SLA.

Hope this helps

Thanks Capcom...I appreciate the help.

Can I use those ports on the sla to hook up more than one cordless in different locations in the house or will I need one sla for each one?

You should be able to connect analog ext #1 to all your cordless phones (line 1 jack) and analog ext #2 to all your cordless phones (line 2 jack). If your cordless phones have line supervision you will also get a busy indication (lights on lines) across all your cordless phones when any one of the lines are in use on any of the cordless phones. You will also see the extension lite up and the line in use on your Vodavi phones when the SLA exts are in use (so Vodavi phones will always know when any of the cordless phones are in use).

If your cordless phones do not have line supervision you might pickup on someone using another cordless phone when you try and dial out (someone already using line 1 or 2 on another cordless) because you will not be able to tell (no lights) when lines are in use. You will not however accidently pickup on lines being used at Vodavi phones The system will not allow you to access a line in use at extensions with Vodavi phones.

Remember line 1 & 2 on the cordless are extensions out of the Vodavi

As far as the number of cordless phones you can hook up to one SLA, it limited to the number of them the SLA can ring (it only has a certain amount of ringing voltage/current) My guess is you can hookup 5 2 line units and still get enough ring voltage to ring all of them. If you have problems try turning the ringers off on one or two of them, you could still use those to make outbound calls.

Hope that was not to confusing.

Thanks, that's the info I needed.

If I go from the sla to a punch down block and then to the wall jacks for where I want the cordless phones would I have to worry about someone plugging in a digital set and frying it with the ring voltage?

Will any other phones than the 616xx phones work with the 616 flex switch?

It could ruin a Voadvi phone if you plug it into a SLA jack. I have seen it done before without hurting the phone. Any of the SP616XX-XX phones will work on your system.

I finally got all this stuff installed and I have a few more questions.

1. How do I program the SLA stations so that the SL phones get an outside line without dialing "81"? Can't find it in the manual.

2. capcoms said in his message that I should install the first port of the SLA to an even number and the second port to an odd number. As I read the manual it is the opposite. I'm using 15 and 16 for the SLA is that ok?

Thanks for the help

I see you have a starplus 616 flex system.How could I go about getting a programming manual for it?

Try calling Vodavi Tech Support @ 800-356-7279 and see if they will sell you one.

Vodavi no longer supports that system. There are a number of companies that offer downloads of that manual. Try a search on google.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back