Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single IE Scroll bar for multi frame page, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinwilson

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
Hello,
I have a web page (index.asp) that consists of 4 frames pages; top_banner.asp, leftFrame.asp, mainFrame.asp, and rightFrame.asp. I want "index.asp" to display a single scroll bar for the entire page, I do not want the individual pages to display their scroll bars.

The following disables scroll bars for the respective pages but how do I add the single scroll bar to the "index.asp"?

top_banner.asp; scrolling="no"
leftFrame.asp; scrolling="no"
rightFrame.asp; scrolling="no"
mainFrame.asp; scrolling="no"

Is there a way to override IE scroll bars and insert a custom sroll bar? And if so, can anyone provide me with the code?

Many mahalo's
Kevin

don't use frames!

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Chris,
Being a novice at web design I appreciate most replies, even sarcastic ones like yours, but can you at least elaborate on why I shouldn't use frames?

Thanks,
Kevin

Not sarcastic at all, It's the only way way to achieve what you want without delving into javascript and DOM.

frames are bad for just about everything.

Spiders can't crawl them.
Visitors can't bookmark internal pages.
You can loose content if scrolling is off
external links can get 'stuck' in your frames.

and more. search the forum for other opinions. there are better and simpler ways of getting common navigation features etc.
Your site is .asp use server side includes or scripting to apply common features.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Chris,
Thank you for being frank, thus far I really haven't had much problems with my frames but I'll explore other alternatives.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back